Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

unit guide

Article about: i was just wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction to a visual guide for mk11 helmet regimental unit flashes please ,perhaps there is one here and i have missed it thanks

Default unit guide

i was just wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction to a visual guide for mk11 helmet regimental unit flashes please ,perhaps there is one here and i have missed it thanks in advance ,james

Quote by James C View Post
    i was just wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction to a visual guide for mk11 helmet regimental unit flashes please ,perhaps there is one here and i have missed it thanks in advance ,james
    James, I don't think one exists for helmets.

Many will be the same as that worn on the arm or be the same as the cap badge, but in other cases they are similar to the pagri flash seen on sun helmets. In other cases they are a either geometric shapes of different colours and in some cases the meaning or attribution is not known.

Perhaps anyone here who has flashed helmets, either steel or piths can add theirs and we can create a list of such.

Some are well known, such as RA, RE etc.... whilst others are obscure and are derived from the regimental colours.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The four flashes I have in my collection, three on sun helmets and one on a slouch hat, all circa WWII except the S Lancs which is circa 1930.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unit guide  
    Regards,

Jerry

hi Jerry and thanks mate i did try the forum search function but drew a blank ,all it was my netted mk11 had a flash remnant and i was hoping to do some detective work in finding a match ,a while back i stripped the helmet down into its composite parts and took some photographs of which i recently found and realised i could see what looks to be best described as a st george cross ,the previous owner told me it was a kings light infantry helmet and so i just wanted some confirmation going off the evidence of the flash unit guideunit guideunit guide

?

Is the thread open for all Commonwealth Mk II's and there flashes or is the thread to be dedicated strictly for British examples.

Regards Mark

Quote by Mark K View Post
    Is the thread open for all Commonwealth Mk II's and there flashes or is the thread to be dedicated strictly for British examples.

Regards Mark
    Any commonwealth flashes would be good to see, especially the battalion/brigade or regimental level as they are the ones that tend to be hard to ID.

I can post more from books etc... but it would be nice to see actual examples in our collections if possible, but hey its not my thread.....
    Regards,

Jerry

Mark im more than happy to see British and commonwealth regiment flashes shown here in this thread and as Jerry kindly started the ball rolling id like to see it continue ,speaking for myself it would be a huge learning curve and most definitely a great reference guide and an opportunity to drool over what yourself and other forum members have to share from there collections ,unless i pick up more example's i wont have anymore to add to the thread apart from what ive shown already but im hopeful it might bring closure to this mystery regiment flash ,regards james

?

Hi James sorry for the late reply here are a few flashed examples from my collection for you to mull over .

1941 dated C.L/.C. flashed to the Winnipeg Grenadiers
    unit guide
    I942 dated G.S.W. flashed to the Black Watch
    unit guide
    1941 dated C.L/.C. flashed to the Cape Breton Highlanders
    unit guide
    1942 dated C.L/.C.flashed to the Royal Canadian Electrical Mechanical Engineers
    unit guide
    1941 dated EC&CO flashed to the Polish Brigade in Exile
    unit guide
    And lastly I can find no mark on the helmet body on this Mk II it is hidden under a layer of paint the liner it self is dated to 1940 and was produced by ( TTC, ) Teddy Toy&Company and is a size 7-1/4 I stongly suspect that this example is flashed to the Irish Defence Forces but the bottom of the shield is absent and there are two possibilities that come too mind Curragh Command and or the 2nd Division of the Eastern Command these flashes would have been adopted in 1941 and used through out the Emergency and the The 2nd Division continued to be used as the Eastern Command badge, and more recently as the 2nd Eastern Brigade, but in a larger size.
    Irish Military Insignia - Army, Command Level HQ Badges
    unit guide
    And you may find this link of interest as it shows some excellent examples of Canadian WW II flashes and flashed helmets "Helmet Flashes" decals markings Helmet Mk II

Regards Mark

beautiful flashed examples mark and a collection to be proud of, thanks for sharing with us im still no closer to my mystery flash as of yetregards james

Quote by James C View Post
    hi Jerry and thanks mate i did try the forum search function but drew a blank ,all it was my netted mk11 had a flash remnant and i was hoping to do some detective work in finding a match ,a while back i stripped the helmet down into its composite parts and took some photographs of which i recently found and realised i could see what looks to be best described as a st george cross ,the previous owner told me it was a kings light infantry helmet and so i just wanted some confirmation going off the evidence of the flash
    Hi James, at the risk of stating the obvious, could the "St George Cross" simply be a medic red cross? Just a thought although I have never seen one that small but at unit level I think anything is possible. I can't think of any formation flash that might fit. As for "Kings Light Infantry" I stand to be corrected but I don't think any unit in the British Army ever bore that name. Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (KSLI) or Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (KOYLI) yes but not just Kings and I don't believe either of these regiments used a flash like that..

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast