Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Helmets

Article about: Hey guys, I have just started with relic hunting and need some help. I have two helmets and i was wondering where they were from and how rare or valuable they are. One is an olive turtle she

Question Unknown Helmets

Hey guys,
    I have just started with relic hunting and need some help.
    I have two helmets and i was wondering where they were from and how rare or valuable they are. One is an olive turtle shell kind of one with the markings of mk111 1942 on the chin strap lug and the other one is a black shiny one which the back edge is elongated with the marks on the elongated bit with the marks in an order which kinda looks like

ROC 4
    m
    mA 1953

any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Unknown Helmets

can ya post some photos?

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Please post pictures as pictures do say more then words.
    Cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

The one you refer to as turtle like sounds like a MkII...the other one sounds like a MKIV "turtle" helmet. Would need pics to verify tho.

I do not know how to post pictures, i have them on my hardrive, but when typing a post to enter a picture it comes up with a URL. How do you do that i don't have them on a website?

Quote by GhostRider View Post
    I do not know how to post pictures, i have them on my hardrive, but when typing a post to enter a picture it comes up with a URL. How do you do that i don't have them on a website?
    Go to the advanced posting and select the fifth box from the left (attachments):

Fonts: Sizes: Color: Smilies: Attachments:

Click on it, which opens a new window, and use the ADD FILES box at upper right.....

Rob

Unknown HelmetsUnknown HelmetsUnknown Helmets[ATTACH]255481[/ATUnknown HelmetsUnknown HelmetsUnknown HelmetsUnknown HelmetsTACH]

finally i have overcome technology, thanks guys.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Helmets  

The one dated 1953 is the one that is normally known as the turtle shape it a MK.4 which are are very common, with it being painted black it was used for Civil defence. On the next one the MK.111 is the mark of the chine strap lug it looks like a MK.11 helmet although the picture is not very clear I can't tell if it has a rim or not around the edge, I belive the Australians made a rimless version of the British MK.11 helmet but I don't know what mark or name they gave it hopefully one of the Australian collectors can help with that also it could be a refurbished MK.1 you need to look for some marks on the helmet and liner they are usually under the rim of the helmet and on one of the bands of the liner.

Judging by the markings on the chinstrap lug, and the lack of a rim, I would say the second helmet is certainly an Australian Mk II.

Rob