Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual home guard logo on helmet

Article about: Firstly, this is my first post on the site and am so glad I have discovered it. My name is Neil and I deal in and collect all militaria of 20th Century. My question is regarding a brodie hel

Default Unusual home guard logo on helmet

Firstly, this is my first post on the site and am so glad I have discovered it.
    My name is Neil and I deal in and collect all militaria of 20th Century.
    My question is regarding a brodie helmet with a 'HG' logo stencilled on the front.
    The helmet is 1939 and doesnt have the 3 holes dictating a home front helmet.
    Has anyone come across this logo before or is it just made up?
    I cant find it on the net at all.

Unusual home guard logo on helmet

Neil.

?

Although first thoughts HG, home guard, probably not. A name of a company most likely, if you had some history to where it came from/who used it you might have a chance, but like most initials, they are lost to time.
    Nice helmet though Neil.

Tinlid,
    Thank you so much for replying so quickly.
    Your suggestion make perfect sense and it crossed my mind but I though home guard would be more likely.
    I will have a look at companies around the area its from (Cheshire) and maybe come up with something.
    Many thanks again, Neil.

I'd agree that it is more likely to be a factory or other company intials. A great lid but sadly not home guard IMO. The colour is wrong for Home Guard from those I have seen, most have army colours, textured khaki.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual home guard logo on helmet  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi, welcome to the forum. A very nice MKII helmet that is in my opinion a factory issued piece as the chaps have said. Leon.

?

I must add that during 1940-41 there was a shortage of helmets, & the home guard had to make do with whatever they could get. I have a private purchase Mk2 that was used by the HG, & have seen a grey factory finish painted one with HG to the front & a fantastic net ghosting.So they are out there,but I think the stylized HG is for a factory/company.

A nice MKII and as already said most likely a factory/company.

Matt