Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual M1 markings British?

Article about: I have had this very unusual M1 helmet for several years but have never really got to the bottom of what it is. The helmet is clearly a US M1 but the markings have something of a British loo

Default Unusual M1 markings British?

I have had this very unusual M1 helmet for several years but have never really got to the bottom of what it is. The helmet is clearly a US M1 but the markings have something of a British look to them to me. If anyone has any ideas or opinions then I would be happy to hear them.
    Many thanks,
    TimUnusual M1 markings British?Unusual M1 markings British?Unusual M1 markings British?Unusual M1 markings British?

Hi Tim,i've been looking but can't find nothing to compare these markings too,they certainly look to have age and appear to be genuine but i've never seen stenciled type markings before on any ww2 m1 lids,so its a mystery to me but i do like the age and wear look to it,nice item to have in any collection and welcome.!

Maybe civil markings back stateside who knows!

US Navy maybe? a lot of navy lids had lettering/numbers on them!..

?

Just a stab in the dark, but, I think that the W/CD, could stand for Warden/ Civil Defense. A nice looking helmet though...

I was thinking along the lines of warden /civil defense (ce) too. Sometimes I think it looks US, other times British ! Would be nice to know one day. Thanks all.

...I've seen one other M1 used on the Brit Home front and painted-up accordingly so I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it was used here (UK) ...but the Yanks weren't really here in numbers during the proper (early) Blitz although the "bugs" started dropping soon after D-Day...and "W/CD" is not a Brit marking I've seen before (although new ones come out of the woodwork quite often and I'd never claim to have seen them all!).....although a strip over the top is very Brit.......I'm assuming it's in the US now???? (and if so....who took it back and why????)

I'm leaning towards USN....but what do I know !!

No, its in the UK. I see the USN in it like you Composite but just blow hot and cold all the time over its origin. Thanks very much for your comments though.

...perhaps wartime US helmet pressed into post-war Brit Civil Defence service????

'just a suggestion......