Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual NFS with rolled edge

Article about: Picked up this morning at the local auction. NFS with a rolled edge, black inside, missing the liner unfortunately, anyone seen this configuration before ? Regards Annoyed from this ads? &nb

Default Unusual NFS with rolled edge

Picked up this morning at the local auction. NFS with a rolled edge, black inside, missing the liner unfortunately, anyone seen this configuration before ? No makers marks that I can see.
    Regards
    Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual NFS with rolled edge   Unusual NFS with rolled edge  

Hi Gary, I can't say that I have seen one like this before, it also has higher riveted chinstrap as well. The NFS kept going until 1948 when it's sections transferred back to county control so maybe this is a post war helmet? Leon.

?

Looks great to me, I have seen a shell like this before once, so very rare. Mostly the rim only shows on the inside like this home guard No.2 B.
    Is there a hole for the liner nut & bolt? sometimes these home front helmets have sorbo for a liner, & the chin strap is riveted straight to the shell, no chin strap lugs.
    Just one of the many not often seen types used on the home front.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual NFS with rolled edge   Unusual NFS with rolled edge  

Hi Leon & Aaron,
    to answer your questions, I think if the helmet was post war issue it would probably been painted black ? and yes it does have a hole to fix the liner to.
    Regards
    Gary

Now that reminds of an another interesting thing. I have seen a number of these helmets with the upward-turned Dutch bend and according to Marcus Cotton's piece in an issue of MILITARIA MAGAZINE they were wartime production, and were 'Grade 2' helmets intended to Home Front use.

The relevant text of the Cotton article reads "A number of small variations of the grade 2 helmets exist. The original issues were fitted with standard stainless steel rims, however owing to shortages of stainless steel and as the helmets were not required to be non-magnetic, mild steel rims were considered acceptable. ((Here's the interesting bit...)) A further version exists where the rim was formed by simply folding the edge of the helmet in a Dutch bend to form a rim."

I have two of these, and I have seen several more on Ebay over the years. The most fascinating thing to me is that *invariably* thay have unmatched chinstrap elements, part leather, part something which is like, but not identical to, half of a standard Chinstrap Mk1 (the cloth kind with the enclosed springs). I find that quite amazing; the first one I found I assumed was a one-off improvisation, but now having seen at least six I assume it was, in effect, normal.

The shells of these helmets are also virtually cicular when compared with a standard military issue shell, and for a while I thought they were a South African issue as shown on Joseba's website here - Casco and here INGLÉS MK1 1916 but now I do not believe that. Also, none of them have had any of the punched holes that usually denone a non-combat grade helmet.

You will see from my pictures that mine are similar to but not identical to Garys39's - chinstrap fixtures in particular are different, and his also looks more like the usual Mk2 oval(ish) planform.

As far as actually understanding the hows and whys of this I am actually as much in the dark as anyone else. Anyone here who can encourage Cotton to get on with The Book?

Unusual NFS with rolled edge Unusual NFS with rolled edge Unusual NFS with rolled edge Unusual NFS with rolled edge
    Unusual NFS with rolled edge Unusual NFS with rolled edge Unusual NFS with rolled edge
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 11-02-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Hi Greg,
    the helmet is of the oval type and also the fold is very tight in comparison to yours. I do have one somewhere similar to yours, I'll have a look for it and compare it to your pictures.
    Regards
    Gary

?

I would say there are at least 5 or 6 different types of helmet that are very similar in appearance to the Mk2 helmet. & in which we know very little information about them.
    Gregs one is quite often seen, sort of spun affect over the steel. The liners never seem to be dated or maker named, just the size. I have thought these as private purchase, but who knows?
    I have seen it advertised as sold at Woolworths, also I'm pretty sure the Dutch used these helmets post war but with a different liner.
    Gary's helmet I'm pretty sure is all WW2 issue, paint, decal, & all.

Ah now Tinlid, I know that 'spun effect' you mention, and it is *not* present on my two helmets (or if it is it is well concealed by the paint). I do have another - which was the subject of some discussion a few years back as being possibly a French Goumier helmet (conclusion was it wasn't!) - on which that 'spun' effect is quite noticeable. The residue marks inside imply that it was originally fitted with the glued in sorbo-rubber liner as found in some other non-combat grade helmets. Like the other one shown here at bottom.

As to the Dutch using something with any of these characteristics, I certainly don't know of anything similar and a quick check around some appropriate places doesn't show anything. But then, Nothing's Impossible. Maybe all these 'Dutch-bend ' helmets migrated to their spiritual home.

Unusual NFS with rolled edge Unusual NFS with rolled edge Unusual NFS with rolled edge

Unusual NFS with rolled edge Unusual NFS with rolled edge

?

Here's another weird one that I have kept the pictures of, any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images Unusual NFS with rolled edge  Unusual NFS with rolled edge 

?

& some of my own that are not to hard to find.

Unusual NFS with rolled edge   Unusual NFS with rolled edge  

Unusual NFS with rolled edge   Unusual NFS with rolled edge