Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual WW2 mkII tommy helmet with rolled edge

Article about: WW2 British mkII helmet with rolled over edge, the first of this type i have ever seen.Helmet is painted in rough texture paint inside and out, very much like WW1 paint.manufacture marked ?c

Default Unusual WW2 mkII tommy helmet with rolled edge

WW2 British mkII helmet with rolled over edge, the first of this type i have ever seen.Helmet is painted in rough texture paint inside and out, very much like WW1 paint.manufacture marked ?c & c ltd.liner is dated 1941.shell has two small holes punched in rim.unsure if WW1 mkI. OR WW2 manufacture
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual WW2 mkII tommy helmet with rolled edge   Unusual WW2 mkII tommy helmet with rolled edge  

Unusual WW2 mkII tommy helmet with rolled edge   Unusual WW2 mkII tommy helmet with rolled edge  

Default Re: Unusual WW2 mkII tommy helmet with rolled edge

I believe the holes denote helmets not deemed suitable for front-line combat soldiers and were constructed of a milder steel. These would typically end up in the hands, or on the heads of the Civil Defence forces. Yours may be a Home Guard helmet but I'm sure some of the guys on here with better knowledge will put you right.

Ian.

I believe you're correct, Ian. If I remember correctly, the number of holes denotes the amount of abuse the helmet can endure. The less holes, the more heavy duty the helmet is suitable for.

?

These helmets are extremely rare to find, I think I've seen 3 in the last 4-5 years & they were in bad condition.
    It is as said, one of the grade 2 helmets for use on the home front only, even rarer that it is painted khaki green textured paint for the home guard.
    The way the rim is done is called a Dutch bend, the maker of the helmet looks like E. Camelinat & Co Ltd.
    Nice helmet

Thank you for info on manufacturer and rarity, I though probably home guard issue with the two holes, first one I have seen.cheers Nathan