Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

US AAF flak Helmets

Article about: Hello Guy's, I know some of you here have been collecting Flak helmets. I have since become interested in getting one to add to my collection of AAF gear and wondering what is a fair price f

?

Default Re: US AAF flak Helmets

Thank You gitana for the explanation on the time frame these were used.
    It looks like I would need to find an M3 or M4 to fit my collection. My Uncle started flying combat missions on September 7th 1943 and was shot down on April 13th 1944.
    Thanks Again gitana
    Take Care
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

The M4 was used in cramped positions like upper turret gunner, while the M3 was used elsewhere. It will depend on where your uncle's spot was on the plane. Keep in mind that an M3 will cost from maybe $125-$300; an M4 will start at $400 or $500 because they are scarce. Good luck with your search.

?

My Uncle volunteered for combat duty while serving with the 433rd Sub depot working as a Instrument tech.He was attached to the 384th BG and flew several positions in the B17 until he was attached to a crew . He has sorties flown as a Top turret, Togglier, Waist gunner and then found his spot as Tail gunner for the majority of his missions. So the Tail gunner position would be the one I would be interested in.
    Thanks Again gitana for you help!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12