Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

US M-1 Helmet...of all ages!

Article about: I got this Helmet off a neighbor in town, He didn`t want anything for it. I gave him \\$10. It appears that its been pieced together over the stretch of a few years. The shell is Fixed bale, s

Default US M-1 Helmet...of all ages!

I got this Helmet off a neighbor in town, He didn`t want anything for it. I gave him $10. It appears that its been pieced together over the stretch of a few years.

The shell is Fixed bale, stamped 280A under the front visor. Steel rim.

The liner is stamped DSA 100-72-C1436. Correct me if im wrong but I believe that makes it from 1972???

The the camo cover was placed in the Helmet with a super authentic piece of rubber inner tube, most likely from an old small John Deere.....kidding of course, the cover its self is stamped but im not firmilar with what it means.

anyways was hoping someone may be able to help me in aging all these items separately which were put together to make this Helmet as 1.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M-1 Helmet...of all ages!   US M-1 Helmet...of all ages!  

US M-1 Helmet...of all ages!   US M-1 Helmet...of all ages!  

NCA
    ?

Default Re: US M-1 Helmet...of all ages!

Well, you done good for $10!!The helmet itself is definitely ww2..exactly when i'm not sure as i dont have the heatstamp chart to hand.Sometime between 1941-43...
    The liner looks to be a 70's one.It might be stamped on the webbing that the headband is attached to.And markings in the crown of the liner?
    The camo cover looks to be 1967 dated and made of twill.Do the chinstraps on the helmet pass through cuts in the cover?

It has the look of a Nam era lid but i doubt it was ever there!

?

It's Sept/Oct 1942 roughly. As long as there is not a letter "S" near the stamp. You did very well indeed!

Andy

Right you are, I found the stamp under the headband, it says

"25 July 66 DS400-76C-0287"

The stamp in the crown appears to be a "W" with a circle around it, and a "24" underneath it. and yes theres cuts in the camo cover for the chin strap, but they look hand done, no stitching around the edges of them to prevent further ripping.

Vietnam era is not something im firmiliar with, were WWII surplus shells used as late as the 60`s?

?

Nice find friend.

thats a great find for 10 smakers well done

Thanks guys, now to look for a WWII Liner to go with it