Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Visored Helmet

Article about: This just popped up on eBay. I've not seen one like this before. Best Regards, Andy

?

Default Visored Helmet

This just popped up on eBay. I've not seen one like this before.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visored Helmet   Visored Helmet  

Visored Helmet   Visored Helmet  

Visored Helmet  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Default Re: Visored Helmet

I saw that one too, I think they were used on the home front to give the user protection from sparks & glare from fires or incediary bombs. If I remember rightly they were made by BMB & dated 41.

?

Interesting info. I can't seem to find any reference to these on the intertubes except the link the seller sent me. Seems to be a rare old beast. I wouldn't fancy wearing that around a fire for any length of time, if it got hot I bet it would burn your face badly should the lid slip forward.
    The link is below, there is not much info though.

Rare WWI-WWII Experimental Military Visor Helmets « The Official Radio-Guy.Com Newsletter

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Looks like some kind of "EOD" helmet.

Regards, Lars

Lars may well be right. Joseba Revuelda at INGLS MK11 COM describes this as "special mask used during the Blitz on London in the "Bomb Disposal Unit". The protection, on a helmet MK-II or MK-II is of steel gratings, and is held by a pair of springs." Translation filtered through Google. I would make a reasonable assumption that it is NOT for EOD techs, but more for comparatively untrained persons dealing with comparatively small bomblets or incendiaries. Moving rather than defusing, as obviously vision for important detail would seem to be a problem. As I recall the serious Bomb Disposal people didn't really bother much with protection, as none would have sufficed.

?

Here are a couple more links, not much more info but good pictures.
    British Mk-II Helmet with Bomb Disposal Face Mask
    British Mk-II Helmet with Bomb Disposal Face Mask

This will be a good one to watch.

this is a very old thread...but I've just found it whilst looking for something else....

This item is/ was (?) a Civil Defence face protector....they were commercially marketed as "the Quick Action Visor"....and as Greg said at the time, they had nothing to do with Bomb Disposal...after all, a thin piece metal is gonna do someone the world of good when a 500 pounder goes off 2 feet away :-)

Looks like one of those good ideas that never really flew.

It was quite popular.....presumably in the Fire fighting community when confronting incendiaries ..
    But with such restricted vision and being so flimsy any type of blast would blow it away.