Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Warden's helmet advice please...

Article about: Friends, there may already be a thread for this, but i can't seem to find it... I am considering purchasing a wardens helmet, and just wonder if anybody share some information re the font of

?

Default Warden's helmet advice please...

Friends, there may already be a thread for this, but i can't seem to find it...
    I am considering purchasing a wardens helmet, and just wonder if anybody share some information re the font of the W?
    I have my eye on a couple, but the W's are very different, is there a right and a wrong?
    Many thanks, as always, Shaun
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Warden's helmet advice please...   Warden's helmet advice please...  

Both look OK...I've never seen a nationwide missive re Fonts / typefaces to use..indeed some double-sided Wardens helmets have one on the front and a different type on the rear....there were stenciled, hand-painted, water-slide transfer, glued on cloth patches etc etc....buy the one you like best

Many variants, many ad hoc.....perhaps a collector focus in its own right, the W variants.....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I'd firmly agree....don't drift into Home Fronters without appreciating there are THOUSANDS of variants.....if you're in it for the long haul either go for one from each "service" (Wardens? NFS? Police? etc) or nobble ONE of the Services [which incidentally you'll not be able to do either]).....although a row of very slightly different "W"s on a shelf might be a tad boring.........or, just buy what you like

There's quite a few mixed up in this long-running thread:-

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

?

Brilliant, thank you gents. That thread is superb, some belting helmets. I think i would like to ultimately find a helmet for each service, but as you say, there seem to be thousands, but hopefully not many fakes or repros, I just want to make sure i find a genuine one and not repainted... back on the W's, this particular one i think is interesting,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Warden's helmet advice please...  

.....errrr...there’s quite a few fakes and retro’s.......

Good luck!! And welcome to the club......apparently there’s a great book coming out on this topic pretty soon............

?

Thanks again chaps, very interesting stuff. Will keep an eye out for that book.
    Onwards!

I believe that last one you posted is on the World War Wonders site. I've bought a warden's helmet from them previously, as well as various other Home Front bits. I was actually considering that one at the time, but went for this example instead.

Warden's helmet advice please...

I really do love these helmets. Mere pennies in comparison to their German equivalents, and due to their markings often being hand-painted, each helmet has its own personality. You can almost feel that little bit of the original owner that went into it when you hold it in your hands. Due to the near-endless amount of variations in these helmets, you're best off buying the one that 'speaks' to you the most. You'll know it when you see it.

Regards, B.B.

?

Thank you for all your advice gents. Well, I've made a purchase, really happy it, for a very reasonable £35 I thought...
    Looks to be over painted army? Could this be the case? very rough underneath the black.
    Liner is nice 1939 VERO, and Mr West even wrote his name on the strap!
    Nut and bolt added post war? Looks to be an old cheese head!
    Thanks again
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Warden's helmet advice please...   Warden's helmet advice please...  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast