Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

West Sussex Controller Helmet

Article about: On lone to me a "West Sussex Controller" helmet, better photos at the weekend, known to me for at least 30 years +, it has just resurfaced, I thought it had been lost to time but n

Default West Sussex Controller Helmet

On lone to me a "West Sussex Controller" helmet, better photos at the weekend, known to me for at least 30 years +, it has just resurfaced, I thought it had been lost to time but no it was just resting quietly. When I first saw it, it had no liner and strap, so these have been added probably 20x years ago.
    Regards Gary
    PS I can't find it in that "new" book, maybe volume 2 ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture West Sussex Controller Helmet   West Sussex Controller Helmet  

West Sussex Controller Helmet  

?

Very nice, and very rare.

SMP
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Very nice, and very rare.
    Yes, indeed !

( I wish people would loan me nice helmets !)

?

They'd never get them back

i like it a lot.

Any chance the following information might suggest this helmet belonged to Tom Hayward ?

Each local authority had its Civil Defence Controller to direct this civilian army in its distinctive blue battledress. The nerve centre for West Sussex operated from the basement of County Hall in Chichester under County Controller, Tom Hayward, Clerk of the County Council. Other principal officers were Captain Harry Sadler, County ARP Officer, and William Hutson, Chief Clerk, Clerk’s Department, the Assistant Controller.

County Hall Operations Room. Captain Harry Sadler, County ARP Officer, at map board and Tom Hayward, County Controller on right.
    Attached Images Attached Images West Sussex Controller Helmet 

...well you write a book about it then!!! :-)

....seriously, that's sweet. It could well have been ol' Tommy's lid...though he might not've been the only "CONTROLLER" titled guy in WS.......

Nice looking helmet, thanks for displaying it.

?

That's a great helmet. To have the county distinction and even a photograph of (possibly / probably) the guy busy at work - amazing.

Quote by garys39 View Post
    Any chance the following information might suggest this helmet belonged to Tom Hayward ?

Each local authority had its Civil Defence Controller to direct this civilian army in its distinctive blue battledress. The nerve centre for West Sussex operated from the basement of County Hall in Chichester under County Controller, Tom Hayward, Clerk of the County Council. Other principal officers were Captain Harry Sadler, County ARP Officer, and William Hutson, Chief Clerk, Clerk’s Department, the Assistant Controller.

County Hall Operations Room. Captain Harry Sadler, County ARP Officer, at map board and Tom Hayward, County Controller on right.
    Great piece of research !