Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What do I have here?

Article about: Thanks for the welcome. I managed to dig out one of my albums. Unfortunately the photos aren't great but this was long before digital. Unfortunately I don't have many showing the helmet clea

?

Default Re: What do I have here?

Thanks for the welcome. I managed to dig out one of my albums. Unfortunately the photos aren't great but this was long before digital. Unfortunately I don't have many showing the helmet clean as it were. They were mostly heavily camouflaged. You can see one with the Eastern command flash visible on the left here with 'LOVE' written in PVC tape. He was obviously influenced by Vietnam era. The man on the right is wearing a MkIV which I seem to recall was his own personal helmet not issue.

This one shows the group after an overnight exercise. One bare helmet being worn. Note the Bren and the NoIV Enfields and the American wool caps. Incidentally the guy second on the right with the cap later joined the British paras. He was a militaria buff even then. He had a full WW2 Para uniform, Dennison Smock and a para helmet.

This is me looking a bit tired and thinner than I am now. Note the helmet which I recall was actually dark green in contrast to the others. The only issue items I'm wearing are the boots and helmet. The rest is unofficial even the beret. The combat jacket is British surplus, the trouser US army. The belt is a '58 pattern British surplus to which is attached a modified '37 pattern pouch and West German water bottle. We were a motley bunch back then in the reserve.

yes its' a british helmet with the Eastern Command Marking ( Irish Army..0

Great pictures noel...

All officers and soldiers of our army must heighten their sense of discipline and resolutely carry out orders, carry out our policy's...

Smile Re: What do I have here?

Irish Military Insignia - Army, Command Level HQ Badges

2nd Eastern Brigade

Irish MKII

Helmet used by Irish Army after discontinuing the M27 from '30s to '70s. The shell is a British MKII dated 1939, greenish-grey with the insignia of the East Command

Eastern Cmd - Irish Defence Force Formation Sign Badge

This is an embroidered felt Irish Defence Force Formation Sign Badge to the Eastern Command HQ (Now 2nd Eastern Brigade)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do I have here?  
    Attached Images Attached Images What do I have here? 

Hi Noel, thanks for the pics. They were really interesting, especially the mixture of kit being worn.

Cheers, Ade.

p2tharizo
    ?

Thanks for all of the great responses and pictures you guys! I just watched Boondock Saints 2 last night...them Irishmen

?

Just an update to this thread. As I was sitting here browsing this very website. The doorbell rang, a glance out the window revealed a green 'An Post' van. I knew exactly what it was delivering.

As I write this p2tharizo's former helmet sits in front of me. Returned home at it were. He kindly offered to sell it to me and I was only too happy to accept.

A quick look at it revealed a single hole drilled beside the chinstrap rivets which seems to indicate it was second rate rejected by the British army although often issued to the Home Guard. No surprise that. They would hardly send the good stuff to Ireland in 1940 when they barely had enough for their own troops. The liner is dated 1940 which fits. The chin strap is clearly later from a MKIV. But luckily I had previously 'liberated' an original chin strap and camouflage net during my service and put them on my MKIV. So they will be swapped.

Most interesting though is the apparent initials of a previous 'owner'. DOC and his army number which looks like 102451. No doubt someone called O'Connor. I wonder what happened to him.

Thanks Brandon.

p2tharizo
    ?

I'm glad it got there okay! I was wearing it around at work before I packaged it up, I'll e-mail you a picture my buddy took of me sometime soon. Talk to you later.
    -Brandon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.