Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is this fluted British helmet, FSS 40

Article about: Seen this at an antique store today, \\$200 price which may as well be the moon, but I took a few snaps of it anyway, sorry, iPhone pics. Tried to research it a bit, came up with maybe Portugu

Default What is this fluted British helmet, JSS 40

Seen this at an antique store today, $200 price which may as well be the moon, but I took a few snaps of it anyway, sorry, iPhone pics. Tried to research it a bit, came up with maybe Portuguese issue (fluting looked different, I didn't see a pic of one like this on Google images) but this was on a Great War forum and this one looks pretty clearly dated 40.

Anyone solve this mystery, for me anyways?

Last edited by Larboard; 11-21-2015 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Misspelled the maker's initials, thx Tinlid ;-)

It's not 'fluted' just dented. Standard WW II british helmet that has been reworked postwar judging by the shade and lustre of the paint ad the very new looking liner - might be a Belgian post WW II used example. About forty bucks would be more appropriate.

It's not randomly dented, it looks like it was done by a machine. All the hills and valleys are of equal size and perfectly symmetrical all the way around the helmet. They are only slightly above where the dome meets the rim, no other dents to speak of.

MAP
    ?

Not a Portuguese M1916. The flutes are very different.

Here is mine for comparison

M1916 Portuguese helmet

Never seen one like yours.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Amazing helmet, cool!

Yes, extremely different obviously. I was just reading up on helmets like yours and it seems they were "private purchase for officers", something about the ribbed shells being less susceptible to shattering, then somehow surplus'ed out to the Portuguese, so I'm not sure if those two stories jive with each other. Something made private purchase for officers wouldn't have been available in large enough leftover quantities to surplus out?

This shell could be dented by someone, but why or this artfully I don't know.

MAP
    ?

Never heard the story of these being private purchase, nor them being surpluses out. It was my understanding that these were designed and produced in Portugal and given the M1916 designation.

Your helmet appears to be of British origins. Interesting lid. Hope you solve the riddle

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Ok, so it's two bogus stories in one? I could probably find the page where I'd read that.

Hhaha, so I misunderstood the part about not shattering because of the design

Then again this ad could be pure gibberish...

WW1 BRITISH OFFICERS FLUTED HELMET, MILD STEEL:
    $239

An early war, mild steel fluted private purchase helmet. These were for sale to officers, until their use was forofferden, as the nature of the steel could cause more severe injuries by shattering. Remaining stocks were sold, or transferred to the Portuguese army for their use, often with different liners and chinstraps.

This shell is in good, used condition, with some dents and a couple of repairs. A fair proportion of paint remains. The liner is named to an officer in the 18th Middlesex, who was an early casualty, although this liner is not typical of the type normally fitted in these helmets - it has been replaced at some time in the past., andlooks more like a cap or hat lining. It is typically fixed though, with a string through the purpose made holes around the base of the shell, which are then protected by a leather strap .The leather band to the lining has been padded out with period newspaper, which although not dated, appears to be Edwardian or just pre WW1... The two piece chinstrap is sound and secure...
    Used WW1 BRITISH OFFICERS FLUTED HELMET, MILD STEEL - UBB.threads

MAP
    ?

They look very similar. Maybe your story is correct. Just never heard it before.

?

It's a Mk2 No.2A, 1 hole in the brim, which is a manganese reject.
    They often come ribbed, but yours is very ribbed, that's why they were rejected.
    My No.2A is only ribbed on the brim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this fluted British helmet, FSS 40  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast