Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What type of helmet is this??

Article about: My friend bought this helmet from a fancy dress shop for £40 to wear it as.......Captain America to a fancy dress party!! I will say no more on this!! He was told it is a 1940s tankers helme

Default What type of helmet is this??

My friend bought this helmet from a fancy dress shop for £40 to wear it as.......Captain America to a fancy dress party!! I will say no more on this!!
    He was told it is a 1940s tankers helmet. It has a large dent in the top. It appears to have its original strap and possibly original srim net?? Any thoughts on this will be appreciated and an estimate on value as he is looking to sell it on. I can't seem to find any markings on the inside unless someone can tell me where.
    The liner is not in the greatest of conditions.
    I am unsure if the paint is original. Some has flaked off so I do not know if what is underneath is original.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What type of helmet is this??   What type of helmet is this??  

What type of helmet is this??   What type of helmet is this??  

What type of helmet is this??   What type of helmet is this??  

What type of helmet is this??  

Default Re: What type of helmet is this??

Has it got the lifting tab liner attachment in the top of the dome? Post war tankers lid if it has, I have a 53 dated one, though I left it at my brothers house about 7 years back. I think it cost about £15 a few years before that. Not sure on current values, possibly no more or even less than your friend paid for it. It will be interesting to see what others say on date and value, as it might be worth getting mine back from my brothers house, though he has gotten divorced, but his ex still lives there and is still friendly.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I think it's a Royal Armored Corps Helmet. Same shell as a paratroop or dispatch rider, different liner. There should be a date on the liner.

Nitram

?

It's a MkII helmet, steel, Royal Armoured Corps, first introduced in Aprtil 1945. Looking at the colour inside I would guess at being 50's dated, the liner will be dated & might even be 1945. If you can't see a date on the liner take it out if it will come, & have a good look. These are starting to go up in price only for the reason that the wartime MkI's are so hard to get.

Found a stamp:
    71/2 I am guessing size.
    FFL - Not sure what this stands for
    III- again???
    1952- The year again I am guessing. Helmets not my strong point.

If anyone has any ideas on price just because I may buy it off him and I do not wish to rip him off.

You can see mine here:

British Royal Armoured Corps pattern steel helmet

You are correct on all the points: FFL = Fisher & Ludlow Ltd, Birmingham.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I think £30-£40 would be tops.

sounds good to me. Thanks for the help.