Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wolseley pattern pith helmet

Article about: My latest purchase a Wolseley pattern pith helmet dated 1942. Looking though all my reference material there doesn't seem to be any firm dates for when these were introduced or when they wen

Default Wolseley pattern pith helmet

My latest purchase a Wolseley pattern pith helmet dated 1942. Looking though all my reference material there doesn't seem to be any firm dates for when these were introduced or when they went out of service all I can find is that they were introduced for officers in the late 1890s and were in full general service by the beginning of WW1 although 1902 is mentioned in one of the books and went out of service during WW11 can anybody add to any information to that.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wolseley pattern pith helmet   Wolseley pattern pith helmet  

Attached Images Attached Images Wolseley pattern pith helmet  Wolseley pattern pith helmet 

Default Re: Wolseley pattern pith helmet

All I can add is that there were also in use by Belgian's in Congo,not only by the army.
    Very nice marked example you have got there, btw.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Thanks for that.

Quote by joseph barrett View Post
    My latest purchase a Wolseley pattern pith helmet dated 1942. Looking though all my reference material there doesn't seem to be any firm dates for when these were introduced or when they went out of service all I can find is that they were introduced for officers in the late 1890s and were in full general service by the beginning of WW1 although 1902 is mentioned in one of the books and went out of service during WW11 can anybody add to any information to that.
    Agree with what you have said, as being what I remember of the chronology of these. Yours is a good example, and the silver foil lining was only used 41-43, before being dropped, though as you said, they stop making this type and introduce the India pattern during the war.

Jerry

Nice Wolseley, great condition!

Here is one I purchased some time ago, but finally had pictures of it taken today. It's a double named 1939 dated one, but it does have silver foil. Is that unusual for a '39 dated example?

Regards, Giorgos

Maker's label, "Helmets Ltd. Wheathampstead, St. Albans, 1939"

"R" for 1939 WD stamp

British name

Greek name (Konstantinos Papageorgiou) on the inside of headband. Wartime reissue?

?

Nice. I have always liked the Brtish sun helmet. Being straight across the back brim is infinately more sensible than rounded.
    SteveR

hi guys nice pith helmets you have there, i found one of these in a house i worked in, the guy sadly passed away due to the house fire it was from, his daughter told us to throw everything away from the flat due to smoke and water damage.me being me couldn't throw this away. His number and initals are on the inside of the liner i will post pics of it on here when i get camera working, could anyone please tell me a rough price guide on one of these in slightly better condition of the ones shown,
    many thanks Ronnie

?

Helmets Ltd is still trading today, i used to sell abrasive pads and compounds to them, they have a display wall where all the helmets manufactured over the years, can be seen, its a large display

Hi guys
    I would like to share with you my example with foil interior made by sutton dated 1942 that i bought in a car boot sale about a year ago.
    I used to have a 1917 dated named example to a major in the lancashire fusiliers with the initals "LF" in white on a red background and a white feather type of plume on it, unfortunatley i sold it many years ago, i think i have a pic of it somewhere.
    jamie
    Wolseley pattern pith helmetWolseley pattern pith helmetWolseley pattern pith helmetWolseley pattern pith helmet