Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 British pith helmet?

Article about: Hello all. I friend of mine gave me this pith helmet some days ago. As far as I can tell, it's a typical WW1 british one. But I haven't seen any of them with a red silk style inner. Any opin

Default WW1 British pith helmet?

Hello all. I friend of mine gave me this pith helmet some days ago. As far as I can tell, it's a typical WW1 british one. But I haven't seen any of them with a red silk style inner. Any opinion would be helpful.
    Inside it's written in Greek: "A remembrance gift of His Own Majesty (Kingod Greece), Kerkira (Corfu) 29/4/1937
    Thanks in advanceWW1 British pith helmet?WW1 British pith helmet?WW1 British pith helmet?WW1 British pith helmet?

The problem is officers helmets were private purchase and are very hard to date accurately. In this case I would guess it is interwars, but it could also be a civilian model as there is no evidence that I can see that it is military. Officers examples were sometimes lined in red as this one is and it might be military used but without clear evidence it will be hard to be certain. The greek inscription suggests it was not British used.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thank you for the reply Jerry B. Ι know that is not a tactical part of British equipment, but at least fromthe outside is very similar to such one. Are you able to tell anything for the markings inside? There is an LTD mark as well.

?

Maybe some research on that inscription will show who these were handed out to?

Oz.

I googled the company name and they were formed in the 1950's as wine merchants which seems a bit odd. I still think it is post WWI and a private purchase example which without other evidence is impossible to state that it was military used, though it might have been. Anyone with the money could buy one of these if they wanted one. British military use of the wolseley helmet stopped circa 1943 except for bandsmen but as a private purchase for a safari use or for tourists I would think you can still buy them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Lawn & Adler Ltd were retailers whose wares included guns and other equipment. A gun forum suggests they go back as far as 1900 although the anodised? finish on the vent looks much later?

Oz.