Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

ww1 U.S helmet - camo !

Article about: guys i got this one local and thought i would post

Default ww1 U.S helmet - camo !

guys i got this one local and thought i would post, my first camo u.s 1917
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 U.S helmet - camo !   ww1 U.S helmet - camo !  

ww1 U.S helmet - camo !   ww1 U.S helmet - camo !  

ww1 U.S helmet - camo !  

Psychedelic is the first word that comes to mind.

That 'ding' looks interesting... a possible shrapnel ball strike?

lol blackcat1982, i thought the patern was interesting. , harry the mole,i am unsure but it would seem so, its almost like a bullet struck it but i am unsure, the indentation is rounded. its one of my favorite helmets.

Interesting. Looks like the ding was painted over after the strike. Normally you would expect to see raw exposed and patinated metal underneath. Would also expect to see a base coat of paint in a light green.

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Interesting. Looks like the ding was painted over after the strike. Normally you would expect to see raw exposed and patinated metal underneath. Would also expect to see a base coat of paint in a light green.
    That is very interesting Andy! if you zoom in really close I think you can see some light shade of green but it could just be my eyes.

Not my field of collecting. But....what theater of operation would something of this nature be used in ? It appears to be more of a target than a camo.
    D.

I would like to see the helmet in different lighting, hard for me to make an honest assessment.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by real steel View Post
    Not my field of collecting. But....what theater of operation would something of this nature be used in ? It appears to be more of a target than a camo.
    D.
    I think this was painted after the war had ended. I've read about and have seen many allied helmets that are painted in weird "camouflage" schemes that seemed more helpful for the enemy than the wearer. Honestly the paint doesn't look close to a hundred years old but that could be due to the photos.

guys let me get more pictures up. sorry for the late reply as i am having issues with the forum and not getting notifications..
    anyhow i believe the paint to be original, i imagine this camo pattern would not stand out too bad at rifle distances. in person it surly looks like the paint has been on for 100 years. the area where it looks like a shrapnel ball struck has blasted all the paint clean off exposing bare steel and giving a slight split as well. there is also green u.s army paint under the camo paint. also found another inscription inside that i can only partially make out as i did not see it whatsoever during the first look over 'eyes arent so grreat anymore' and i am wondering if the helmet had been issued or used by more than one soldier in its lifetime, i will try for more pictures.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 U.S helmet - camo !   ww1 U.S helmet - camo !  

ww1 U.S helmet - camo !  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast