Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 and WW2 Maltese Camo Helmets

Article about: Please find attached two of my helmets. Note that one is from the WW1 and the other WW2 (with the green Maltese cross). Note the different camo found on them and the colour of each helmet. M

?

Default WW1 and WW2 Maltese Camo Helmets

Please find attached two of my helmets. Note that one is from the WW1 and the other WW2 (with the green Maltese cross). Note the different camo found on them and the colour of each helmet. My question is this. Is the camo on the WW1 from the First World War or later. Both these helmets I have had since 1971. The WW1 was bought for 3 Maltese pounds from Valletta flea market and other was given to me by a collector of military hats. This helmet belonged to one of his relations.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

New UserNew UserNew UserWW1 and WW2 Maltese Camo HelmetsWW1 and WW2 Maltese Camo HelmetsWW1 and WW2 Maltese Camo Helmets

?

Have you any pictures of the inside?
    Might determine whether the ww1 helmet is an Mk1 or Mk1*.
    Thanks for showing.

SMP
    ?

I really hope you can show more photos !

Interesting photos.

Liner screw suggests its a mki* or a mkii.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by melita View Post
    Please find attached two of my helmets. Note that one is from the WW1 and the other WW2 (with the green Maltese cross). Note the different camo found on them and the colour of each helmet. My question is this. Is the camo on the WW1 from the First World War or later. Both these helmets I have had since 1971. The WW1 was bought for 3 Maltese pounds from Valletta flea market and other was given to me by a collector of military hats. This helmet belonged to one of his relations.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

New UserNew UserNew UserWW1 and WW2 Maltese Camo HelmetsWW1 and WW2 Maltese Camo HelmetsWW1 and WW2 Maltese Camo Helmets
    The WW1 helmet has an original ww1 liner with a leather doughnut in centre of crown and it is fixed with a stud and not a screw. I will post photos of inside of helmets over the weekend as soon as I get help from one of my children to post them on the computer.

?

Please find extra photos attached. The far end helmet in the photo on the right corresponds to the helmet in the middle. I have added another helmet which is on the left. This unfortunately is a fake. When I bought it from a market in London , over 20 years ago, I had enquired about the camo on the helmet and I was told that it was a combat helmet. In fact it is a civil defence helmet and it has 4 holes on either side of the brim.

I have been collecting helmets for the last 50 years and this year I have decided to log all the helmets that I have. In doing so I have realised that three of the helmets that I have are not what they are. They have been bought in markets in London. They are fakes.

The information available on the forum is great and is very useful to know and to research any militaria.

WW1 and WW2 Maltese Camo HelmetsWW1 and WW2 Maltese Camo HelmetsWW1 and WW2 Maltese Camo Helmets

SMP
    ?

Definitely a WW1 helmet. The liner is the post 1917 variety. Someone sold a few Malta Home-guard helmets on e-bay a couple of years ago , they still had WW1 liners.