MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 British airborne HSAT MK1 helmet (early type)

Article about: I picked up this British HSAT helmet with British net. I believe it is the early type with fibre band. The liner is stamped BMB 1942 but there is no size stamp in the shield like we could ex

Default WW2 British airborne HSAT MK1 helmet (early type)

I picked up this British HSAT helmet with British net. I believe it is the early type with fibre band. The liner is stamped BMB 1942 but there is no size stamp in the shield like we could expect. The brownish paint finish is complete with sharp texture and thoroughly applied inside the helmet skirt. The net was on the helmet and I have not/will not remove it. Please give me any info as I have never owned one before.
    Enjoy
    Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British airborne HSAT MK1 helmet (early type)   WW2 British airborne HSAT MK1 helmet (early type)  

WW2 British airborne HSAT MK1 helmet (early type)   WW2 British airborne HSAT MK1 helmet (early type)  

WW2 British airborne HSAT MK1 helmet (early type)   WW2 British airborne HSAT MK1 helmet (early type)  

The fibre band is entirely covered in the textured paint.

I assume it is the size 6 5/8 that is typical of un-issued helmets.

?

I would say it is a fake, or rehash of an original one.

?

I am of the opinion that Aaron's assessment of this Mk I is spot on and I am afraid there really is not much I like about it..
    The only thing that is not yet clear is it an out right fabrication and or has some one reworked an original helmet body a few things that catch my eye...
    1 # The bold green paint that can be seen under the heavy textured finish...
    2 # The textured finish it self looks like no other original example that I have ever seen...
    3 # There is something about the leather harness that does not look correct to my eyes when comparing it to known war time originals...
    4 # The aluminium liner band looks to have been factory painted in OD # 3 should it not be un-finished unpainted aluminium ? I have never seen this before on a Mk I Fibre Rim but have on more than one early Canadian post war converted HSDR to HSAT
    5 # The liner itself does not look correct for such an early fibre rim if we are to believe it was produced by BMB in 1942...
    This is only my opinion but I would not want this example in my collection as a war time original...
    P Baczuk here are a few links that you may find of interest below over at GHW II were I know you are an active member...
    Error - German Helmet Walhalla
    Error - German Helmet Walhalla

Regards Mark

I agree I think its a copy,the rubber pads don't look right and look like the same pads found on fake German para helmets

The black inner sponge/foam ring looks wrong (modern) to me.......sorry

Whoever built this put much effort into it. I need to determine if it isa reused fiber rim or if the entire helmet is a reproduction.Who makes reproduction fiber rims?

Lee Edwards: Thanks for seeking that out. I checked Pegasus' site... it is not the same product. This one I have is of much higher quality. I also looked at What Price Glory among other sites.. apples versus oranges. A brain scratcher..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast