Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

View Poll Results: Is the paintwork original or recent?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original

1 10.00%
  • Recent

9 90.00%
  • Unsure

0 0%

WW2 British camo helmet - original or repaint?

Article about: Apologies if this one has already been raised but... What does everyone think about this helmet currently listed on ebay as "UNIQUE WW2 BRITISH 8th ARMY HELMET. NORTH AFRICA. DESERT RAT

?

Default WW2 British camo helmet - original or repaint?

Apologies if this one has already been raised but...

What does everyone think about this helmet currently listed on ebay as "UNIQUE WW2 BRITISH 8th ARMY HELMET. NORTH AFRICA. DESERT RAT. MONTY."

In my opinion, the camo paintwork is a recent addition, albeit quite a good one. I've seen a similar surface 'patina' to this on other helmets sold by this seller. Of course there's no doubt that the shell itself is original. This has a dramatic effect on the value. What was an ordinary helmet worth maybe £30 is now something which will probably sell for around £200 or more. It's just too easy to convince yourself it's authentic because you want it to be. For me, the tale tale signs are the tarnish 'wash' and distressed marks which on closer inspection look like they have been added using similar techniques to age reproduction antique furniture. The paintwork just doesn't look like 70+ years old. I believe this has been done by someone who knows what they are doing and able to produce a convincing piece of work - and therefore able to attract high bidders.

This particular seller seems to attract a steady stream of buyers who are willing to pay significant amounts of money for WW1 and WW2 British steel helmets. Having seen a steady stream of "8th Army" helmets sell for £200-£400 over the years, there has more recently been a steady stream of WW1 helmets selling for amounts I would regard as surprisingly high. Most look pretty good but now and then I see something which looks like the paintwork may have been carefully enhanced in some way.

Also, I still don't understand why people are willing to pay so much for almost anything branded as "8th Army".

Anyway, back to the helmet in the pictures attached. Do you agree or disagree?

You can see more photos on ebay.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British camo helmet - original or repaint?   WW2 British camo helmet - original or repaint?  

WW2 British camo helmet - original or repaint?  

?

This one looks bad to me, the Salford pals are a group of sellers, I have messaged them before regarding a bad helmet they had for sale, they messaged me back explaining they were a group and removed The listing. Maybe worth expressing your feelings to the seller. It is strange how they always sell their items at nearly double the standard rate , most of their items look good . Not this one though.

SMP
    ?

Not one I would want. It is bound to sell, though.

E-bay is stuffed with un-educated buyers

?

One picture is enough to see how bad this one is.

In the last week or two they have done quite well with flashed helmets, so expect to see more bad ones coming soon.

?

Interesting information thanks. A group would explain how they manage to source so many items. And yes, amazing that there seem to be so many buyers willing to pay a premium for this stuff - often well over the going rate.

Wink

Quote by Simonk View Post

Also, I still don't understand why people are willing to pay so much for almost anything branded as "8th Army".

'Twas ever thus.....

When I was 9 years old - in the mid-1960s - I and a group of friends were thrilled to find a 'WWII British Helmet' in a neighbour's back garden. I still remember the older brother of one of my friends ( he was 13 at the time ) looking at it and declaring - in a tone of great wisdom and superiority - 'Definitely 8th Army...'

( It was of course a civilian-type helmet... )

....not Malta pattern?...your pal missed a trick there!!!! :-)

Looks like this helmet is back on EBay again!

WOW....... this helmet just keeps turning up..... I saw it fail to sell on ebay...then turned up at an auction in Devon....and now is back on ebay with amazing bidding this time!!!!!