Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

ww2 british helmet

Article about: Hi i'm a new member so thought i would post picture of my british helmet. I can't find any makers marks on the shell but the liner is marked G&S 1942 the paint colour is brown, hope this

?

Default ww2 british helmet

Hi i'm a new member so thought i would post picture of my british helmet. I can't find any makers marks on the shell but the liner is marked G&S 1942 the paint colour is brown, hope this may be of interest.ww2 british helmetww2 british helmetww2 british helmet

Default Re: ww2 british helmet

Welcome to the forum mate. I need a Tommy helmet to balance my German ones I think, I like this one

?

Looks like a nice mid war MkII with the dark brown paint. If there are makers names on the shell & the thickness of the paint has obscured it it should be by the chin strap lugs. The G&S liner is quite a rare maker
    A good start for your first post, any more?
    Aaron

?

Thanks for the positive replies to my first post . i have looked at the lugs that hold the chin strap at can see the date 1942 but can't make out the other mark. i have some other bits that i will post up next week.

Welcome Mate,
    Good lid and a bonus with the G&S liner
    Look forward to seeing more.
    Mick

?

Was G&S just a small volume producer making their liner less common

?

In 1940-41 there seems to be quite a few rare maker names on liners which I have'nt seen on 43-45 dated liners. This might be down to the fact there was a shortage of MkII helmets due to the fall of France in 1940 plus the need of the home guard & the ARP services. The bigger well knonw companies needed extra help to get the liners out.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 british helmet   ww2 british helmet  

ww2 british helmet  
    Attached Images Attached Images ww2 british helmet 

ponypetedm
    ?

Gentlemen

What you are looking at there is a WW1 Helmet with a WW2 liner, this means the soldier who wore it most probably got a recycled helmet as was mostly the case during war time, so the helmet has been in service for both wars maybe? further analysis would be have to be carried out.
    Much like the I have one in my garage of the same period passed down through my family I will have to take a butchers tomorrow, as my Granddad served Pre-WW2, and GGDad WW1 -14/16 Somme.

It would be interesting if it is the same or similar markings.......

Any history of its life time???????

Pete

ponypetedm
    ?

Cant be that often you can get your helmet out online and get away with it!!!!!!!
    Quote by ponypetedm View Post
    Gentlemen

What you are looking at there is a WW1 Helmet with a WW2 liner, this means the soldier who wore it most probably got a recycled helmet as was mostly the case during war time, so the helmet has been in service for both wars maybe? further analysis would be have to be carried out.
    Much like the I have one in my garage of the same period passed down through my family I will have to take a butchers tomorrow, as my Granddad served Pre-WW2, and GGDad WW1 -14/16 Somme.

It would be interesting if it is the same or similar markings.......

Any history of its life time???????

Pete
    The Date stamp is just inside the folded rim, not very well stamped, looks like it will take a close inspection, mine is stamped 1941, so it is neither my GGDads or my Grandads, ohh well better look around for some of the same era, to go on the wall next too my own helmet.......
    Last edited by ponypetedm; 05-10-2012 at 08:27 PM.