Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 British mk2 Police helmets

Article about: Morning comrades... i have been looking at a few mk2 police helmets recently, but thought id ask you guys first as im really not sure... Is there a right and wrong font for the police text,

?

Default WW2 British mk2 Police helmets

Morning comrades... i have been looking at a few mk2 police helmets recently, but thought id ask you guys first as im really not sure...
    Is there a right and wrong font for the police text, or can they be different in war time?
    Also, ive noticed some of the text has spray marks around the edges, like it has been added quickly through a stencil, is this correct, or bit suspicious?
    I'd really appreciate any feedback...
    Many thanks,
    ShaunWW2 British mk2 Police  helmetsWW2 British mk2 Police  helmetsWW2 British mk2 Police  helmets

There’s a good book covering this stuff.......

But.....the spray painted stencil and the water slide transfers were used in parallel. In some cases the refurbishment of stencil-marked helmets resulted in the application of a transfer once the stencil had been over-painted with fresh coat of blue. Both those helmets look OK to me

Quote by Composite View Post
    There’s a good book covering this stuff.......

But.....the spray painted stencil and the water slide transfers were used in parallel. In some cases the refurbishment of stencil-marked helmets resulted in the application of a transfer once the stencil had been over-painted with fresh coat of blue. Both those helmets look OK to me
    I agree.
    These were "policed up" over a long period and under many different local arrangements. Some were blue applied over an original green and some I have seen appear to have been factory sprayed.
    As is typical with British steel helmets of all "flavours" most tend to have been repainted time and again throughout their service life, "must never look slovenly in the field lad!"
    This, particularly in the case of the Police helmets has resulted in a wide variance in the shade of blue or even black in some cases and style of stencil cut or decal/transfer. Later on some "police" markings have actually been stickers rather than transfer (post war) and some I have seen have had rank or appointment markings.

Many of these tend to appear in very healthy condition albeit scratched and worn because they have been stored more than used for decades.

In recent years with the closure of a number of older police stations I have known these to be found in long forgotten cellars etc much to the mirth and amusement of currently serving officers

The short answer is that yes these look fine and stencil overspray is ok because in more recent times this would be the result of a loosely applied or even hand held stencil. You could make a collection of these alone just based on variations. Plus I don't think I have ever seen a serious attempt to fake one (excluding amateur dramatic groups etc and they are really obvious).

Of couse there are also MkIII & IV out there many in almost UN blue.

Let us know what you end up with.

Regards

Mark

PS Here's one that I have for reference;

WW2 British mk2 Police  helmetsWW2 British mk2 Police  helmets
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Aaah, the ol’ horizontal gapped stencil variant......

?

Brilliant, thank you gents, great stuff as always. I just wondered if there was any link as the top one is a 1938 dated helmet, and the other a 42.

Re 'the book', i have been meaning to get in touch about it, I'll pm you...

Thanks again chaps

Default British Police MkIV

Just for reference as to shades of blue, the later use of stickers and because unless you are more easily pleased than any helmet collector I know you will eventually need one of these;

WW2 British mk2 Police  helmetsWW2 British mk2 Police  helmetsWW2 British mk2 Police  helmetsWW2 British mk2 Police  helmets

I know it is post war but, evolution / timeline etc

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."