Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Brodie Helmet maker identiy sought

Article about: Hi All Im new to these boards, not so new to collecting "junk" that smells like old cellars though! I am after some help to identify a WW2 (what i believe is British) Brodie helmet

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

Default WW2 Brodie Helmet maker identiy sought

Hi All

Im new to these boards, not so new to collecting "junk" that smells like old cellars though!

I am after some help to identify a WW2 (what i believe is British) Brodie helmet

the helmet was given to me by a friend, it came from his late nans house, several people in his family fought in various campaign`s including his grandfather in WW1 for which he has all his original campaign medals

The helmet has 75% of its original olive/ grey green paint, original liner, net, and chin strap, it has at some point had cream/white paint put on the underside of the rim for whatever reason? the rest of the inside is still green/grey like the outer

the stamp marks on the inner rim are these, R.O.C then TJ then 1
    the 9 is not stamped in as hard as the other numbers and letters but it is definately a 9

I would be very happy if i could find out who would have been the maker/supplier of this helmet and if it is an unusual one?

I cannot find any obvious markings on the liner, but it is complete and in very good condition, its made up of a kind of thick black paper material with a white adjusment cord, with rust red pressed paper? inner straps, and a rubber X shaped part on the crown where the brass screw holds it to the outer shell

the chin strap fixing points have rivets holding the folded metal parts that in turn hold the brass loops of the chinstrap in place

here are some pictures to maybe help shed some light on it, very topicly I have also been given a WW1 Ghurka Khukri which has what i believe is a regiment and army number stamped on the blade, i want to try and identify whos it was maybe!!

Default Re: WW2 Brodie Helmet maker identiy sought

To my opinion his is a shell made by the firm of Rubery Owen Company of Leeds. It should read RO Co.

About the liner. Is the sizing in metric or imperial? The liner is somewhat unusual since UK and Canadian liner bands were black. I seem to recall to have seen a civilian liner with red band material, though!

After WW2 the Dutch produced liners with red bands, but these are metricly sized of course and easely recognized.

Cheers.
    Emile

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

Thanks for your reply and the maker details that helps a lot, I cannot see a size in the lining, in fact it does not seem to have any markings on its liner at all!!!

from close examination of the helmet it would appear that this is its original green paint, the inside is of the same colour (apart from the white under the rim) leading me to believe it is a combat version as opposed to a civilian version?

The liner seems to be a civilian type. But I am not certain. The dun colour of the shell seems original. But to which organisation? Again not sure.

Try a look at Greg Pickergill's site!

HELMETS HELMET COLLECTION BRITISH HELMET UNITED KINGDOM

Cheers,
    Emile

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

Thanks again, some of those liners on the Armoured type helmets on that site have red liners in and "typical mk2 type liner" next to them?

as far as i am aware the helmet and liner are a pair and have been together since day one, they came from an elderly ladies estate so i see no reason they would have ever been changed or altered unless it was doen many years ago for a reason? or thats the only liners they had at the time this one was made in 1939?

I think he military liner was black.

Civilian liners were of course not regulated, so have been produced in different materials and qualities.

This helmet possibly was a CD helmet to start with. They were made in different colours. Gray, black, white, olive and khaki coloured ones have been encountered.

The net does not look original tot the helmet is that correct.

Try this one.

A.R.P. Helmets

Cheers, Emile

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

yeah its quite possible its a CD or "home guard" one i suppose, the net was not fitted on the helmet when i got it, but was with it and from what i can tell a genuine net

could you "buy" your own helmet back then if you were a civilian wanting to maybe protect yourself? I live in Kent in south East England right near to the Historic Dockyard Chatham so the place was under constant threat from air raids

I am convinced you could buy your own helmet from private suppliers.

There exist helmets with elaborate liners which were privatly purchased by officers. So why not by civilians?

I know it for a fact that private purchase was possible in The Netherlands, during and before the war.

Cheers,
    Emile