Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Canadian Helmet Relic Recovered Dieppe

Article about: Hello, i just purchased my first relic helmet and i wanted to share it, this particular relic was recovered from Pourville "GREEN BEACH" where the Cameron Highlanders of Canada and

Default WW2 Canadian Helmet Relic Recovered Dieppe

Hello, i just purchased my first relic helmet and i wanted to share it, this particular relic was recovered from Pourville "GREEN BEACH" where the Cameron Highlanders of Canada and the The South Saskatchewan Regiment landed, this helmet had a Mk3 Chin Strap, any comments are appreciated,Thanks
    WW2 Canadian Helmet Relic Recovered DieppeWW2 Canadian Helmet Relic Recovered Dieppe

Which maker is it by?

From the pictures i have of it i can't see any maker marks, so for all i know it could be british made, i bought one other relic helmet and i can make out, C.L which is most likely C.L/C which is a canadian producer

?

It is most likely British made, Canadian helmets didn't use this type of strap clip except on MkI* but from my understanding (and any examples I can find) they used a slightly clipped corner not square corner.

True, it also has bits left of a Mk3 Chin strap which i've only seen on British Helmets

?

I believe you've been hoodwinked.

I bought it from a very reputable dealer i trust, British Made Equipment was quite commonly issued to Canadian and ANZAC Troops especially during the early days of the war, but you can never be sure i guess

?

Quote by CanadianTravis View Post
    I bought it from a very reputable dealer i trust, British Made Equipment was quite commonly issued to Canadian and ANZAC Troops especially during the early days of the war, but you can never be sure i guess
    The problem with relic is that unless you were there the only way to confirm is the story and you should always buy the item not the story. Even a well respected dealer can buy into a story especially if it helps with a sale. I am not saying it isn't true I am just saying personal I try my best to only believe the item. And yes you are correct Canadians used British helmets I own a few.

True, it's all up to what you believe i guess, the seller lives in Dieppe so i have no reason for not believing him though, but i do understand how people will try to deceive you to buy their relics. Good advice all together, you can never be to cautious

The key issue is, whatever it's story, do YOU like it?

If the facts say that it MIGHT be a Canuck-used Brit-made lid why shouldn't it be? However I know how much doubt (and perhaps anger) can burn when a seed of doubt's been sown and stories like this often result in the once-loved item being pushed to the back of a shelf or sold off. Over the years I've written-off several pieces...and then convinced myself that they're "right"...only to write-off the one next to it or even reconsider the same one again.....but I kept them all (although still periodically doubting some, as if they're on some kind of paranoid now-it's-your-turn roster!)

Personally, I'd look at the seller's other items....if there's other stuff you KNOW to be wrong then I guess that's more of a thumbs down for your belief. Years ago I bought some stuff from the so-called "best dealers in the UK".....and they're now well and truly on the "are-they/aren't-they" List (as we speak I don't think they "are"...but ask me tomorrow!)

.....but at the moment the FACT is that you have a "British-made WW2 (almost certainly) helmet from Dieppe"......it might just turn out to be the best part in your collection.....but YOU have to be happy with it.....and we here can all throw "doubt stones" (I just made that up by the way...perhaps it sounds better as "the painful stones of doubt"??...'bit more Biblical?? :-) )...but the FACT is we don't KNOW either (yet, at least).

Keep collectin' !!! (and I'll keep doubting!) :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast