Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Fleet Air Arm Type C (?) Flight Helmet

Article about: Good afternoon guys, I rarely collect WW2 British items, if I collect British stuff I usually focus on the First World War, but when this was offered to me I couldn't resist. I posted on a l

Default WW2 Fleet Air Arm Type C (?) Flight Helmet

Good afternoon guys,

I rarely collect WW2 British items, if I collect British stuff I usually focus on the First World War, but when this was offered to me I couldn't resist. I posted on a local Facebook group asking if anyone had military related items, and I received a PM with a picture of this. I'm afraid I don't know a great deal about it, but thought I'd share it here. There aren't any labels left in it, and in places the leather is quite rough, but I thought it really looked the part so bought it.

I don't have any mannequin heads to display it on so these are the best photos I could really get. Any information on it would be highly appreciated.

Kindest regards and many thanks in advance,

Harvey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Fleet Air Arm Type C (?) Flight Helmet   WW2 Fleet Air Arm Type C (?) Flight Helmet  

WW2 Fleet Air Arm Type C (?) Flight Helmet  

Looks to be a modified USAAF A11? Nearly like a RAF Type B, RAAF shown.

I dunno here's a side shot of my A11

Hi Rene, had a gander online on some ref sites for leather headgear and it seems this one is Type C for the Fleet Air Arm, the Royal Navy's pilots. The lady I bought it off said her husband was given it from his Uncle (From what I remember) but said she didn't know any information on him which is a shame. It's still got the sponges in the 'ear pods' ,as I refer to them, but no receivers. The loom has been cut, and although I could swap it for a newer one, I think I'll keep it in place but buy a replacement to display alongside.

The leather is pretty rough in places so I'm going to gently treat it. Also going to have it carefully restitched in places too, such as on one of the pods where its come away next to the zip. Once that's all done, I'll probably get some MkVIII goggles (the cheapest option) and a post war mask, which looks the part and is also accurate to an extent (also the cheapest option!)

Okie just saying that it has US parts, see pic oxy connector.

Note the inner of this one