Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 MK II help needed

Article about: I recently picked up, what I believe is a WW2 MKII British helmet. I would like to get some help as to identifying some of the markings on the helmet, chinstrap and liner. Any thoughts, idea

?

Default WW2 MK II help needed

I recently picked up, what I believe is a WW2 MKII British helmet. I would like to get some help as to identifying some of the markings on the helmet, chinstrap and liner.
    Any thoughts, ideas or comments are well appreciated.

WW2 MK II help neededWW2 MK II help neededWW2 MK II help neededWW2 MK II help neededWW2 MK II help neededWW2 MK II help neededWW2 MK II help needed

This forum has far more knowledgeable collectors of the Mk.II, so I’ll just offer the few comments. First off, you're correct about the helmet ID, although it's an entirely Canadian made version.

Shell markings:
    C.L./C. = Canadian Lamp Company
    1942 = of course, date of manufacture
    78 = not sure, possibly batch / lot number

Liner:
    7 1/8 = liner size
    V.M.C = Viceroy Manufacturing Company
    II = Mk.II
    1942 = again, date of manufacture

The chinstrap has the C-broad arrow which is the ordnance acceptance mark and identifies Canadian government ownership.

Good looking helmet

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi, Tony has nailed it for you, a very nice Canadian made MKII. Leon.

?

Absolutely.. Thanks..

It has a incorrect liner bolt, however, it seems a lot of these Canadian MkII's were assembled by someone (Who? I have heard a hardware/surplus store in Canada) using small hardware bolts. As i have seen the same nut and bolt used, i am led to believe that it was one entity who mated a fairly decent number of MkII shells with liners.

Hi Obal7,
    actually that kind of liner bolt I've never seen; original liner bolt normally used on Canadian MK2, during WW2 period is this:
    WW2 MK II help neededWW2 MK II help needed

I do not know if there were other variants, perhaps used during the reconditioning in the postwar, it could be a hypothesis, below an example reconditioned during the Korean War period using original components WW2 and repainted in dark green:
    WW2 MK II help neededWW2 MK II help needed

apart from the bolt of the liner for the rest of this last example would look like yours, but as I said it's just an idea.

Regards
    Roberto

?

Thanks for the input and the theory, Roberto...