Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

ww2 steel helmet

Article about: i have a steel helmet which i have owned since 1960 which i thought was a relic from ww2.it is olive drab in colour,has a complete liner which has a back neck vinyl cover.on the front inside

Default ww2 steel helmet

i have a steel helmet which i have owned since 1960 which i thought was a relic from ww2.it is olive drab in colour,has a complete liner which has a back neck vinyl cover.on the front inside edge is the number 2 in white paint.
    i thought the helmet was japanese but now think different that it could be romanian from the 1930s.
    i now wish to sell it and need to put an accurate description of the article.i attach 4 photos showing the helmet in question.
    any advice from members would be appreciated.
    regards ross
    Attached Images Attached Images ww2 steel helmet  ww2 steel helmet  ww2 steel helmet  ww2 steel helmet 

?

Default Re: ww2 steel helmet

hi ,it could be romanian,,,but to positivly id you will need to take clearer pics of liner ,very dark...cheers paul

Quote by ozzaroo View Post
    i have a steel helmet which i have owned since 1960 which i thought was a relic from ww2.it is olive drab in colour,has a complete liner which has a back neck vinyl cover.on the front inside edge is the number 2 in white paint.
    i thought the helmet was japanese but now think different that it could be romanian from the 1930s.
    i now wish to sell it and need to put an accurate description of the article.i attach 4 photos showing the helmet in question.
    any advice from members would be appreciated.
    regards ross

Pics are not too good, but it is definitely not Japanese. I think you are on the right track with Romanian, or maybe Bulgarian or another iron curtain country, maybe Swedish? I do not think the helmet is from the 1930's really, it's probably post war. Another member will know I'm sure.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Regards, Steve

I think it's a Dutch M38 helmet, more specific a KNIL helmet (translate as Royal Dutch Indies Army)

Jean

From the pictures I would guess it is a romanian M-73 (introduced from 1973 on).

Hello Ozzaroo,

This is a Dutch helmet. It is a KNIL model. KNIL stands for Royal Netherlands East Indies Army. The colonial Dutch army in what is now Indonesia.

This particular helmet was manufactured for the Netherlands by MILSCO in Milwaukee in the USA about 1940-41, because procurement from the Netherlands proper was impossible due to the German occupation of the motherland.

The figure 2 indicates the size. There were two: 1 (small) and 2 (large).

These helmets were used by the KNIL but also by the Dutch navy and the Dutch forces in the West Indies and Surinam.

The KNIL helmet of Dutch production did have an oval plate soldered to the front, depicting the Dutch lion.

These helmets are much sought after, especially in The Netherlands. Some better pics would help determine the exact details!

BTW the Romanian M74 is a near perfect clone of this KNIL model, except for the liner!

Have a look at Joseba's site! HOLANDÉS 40
    Try this site as well. It is in Dutch but very informative on all the different Dutch and Dutch used helmets. http://dutchhelmets.nl/index.php?opt...id=113&lang=nl

From the pictures I would guess it is a romanian M-73 (introduced from 1973 on).
    I'm sorry to disagree, but the chinstrap is totally wrong for a romanian M73 helmet.

Jean
    Attached Images Attached Images ww2 steel helmet 

Emile is once again correct, and I do not expect anything different from him.