Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII British Despatch Helmet.

Article about: I picked up this Helmet last year at a small Local gun and hobby show. I bought it on site cause it was a good price and only a 1 day show. Have researched it and just want a second opinion

Default WWII British Despatch Helmet.

I picked up this Helmet last year at a small Local gun and hobby show. I bought it on site cause it was a good price and only a 1 day show. Have researched it and just want a second opinion on my assessment as well as any other info that others may be able to contribute. This one caught my attention because it appears to be in fairly good condition and un issued. Its light green in shell color, which means 1942? they used a darker scheme in '45? Second pattern, Domed rivets. Its stamped BMB 42,(Briggs Motor Bodies). Just wondering if anyone could add something to this that I missed? especially about the liner, still looking for knowledge regarding liners on these Helmets.

Yes, its a very good helmet. They are quiet common in very good condition (This is my one, dark brown, and 45 dated in near mint condition) and I dont see any problems with your assessment of yours, the liner is identical to mine.

Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII British Despatch Helmet.  

?

A nice HSDR (helmet, steel, despatch riders) 42 was the first year of production for the HSDR, before that they were made of rag pulp or rubber & fibre compound. The first ones were the fibre rim type, then later that year they started using a steel rim. The khaki green colour was used until 1944 when you start to see the dark brown colour.
    All HSDR's were made by BMB.