Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII British MkII Helmet - Tan painted

Article about: Hi, At present we think that the SA government never issued the neck flaps to go with there helmets, if you find a picture you will probably be the first person. Having said that, I have see

Default WWII British MkII Helmet - Tan painted

Hello all - I have acquired this British MkII Helmet. It is heavily coated with a tan paint, to the point of having obscured any markings that may be stamped in the shell. The liner is stamped with " ?GER RAND, below that a capital U with an upward pointing arrow, then the date 1943". There may or may not be a character before the GER, it is difficult to read.
    After perusing the photographs available, I have to question the liner with the felt pad. It doesn't look used at all, and I welcome any and all comments on what I may (or may not) have here.

I also have a question about the three holes in the rim, along the front, equally spaced. Any idea as to their purpose?

Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII British MkII Helmet - Tan painted   WWII British MkII Helmet - Tan painted  

WWII British MkII Helmet - Tan painted   WWII British MkII Helmet - Tan painted  

WWII British MkII Helmet - Tan painted   WWII British MkII Helmet - Tan painted  

Default Re: WWII British MkII Helmet - Tan painted

You have a South African helmet and the holes to the rear are for a neck flap
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-06-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added photo

Thank you for your quick reply. South African, it is. That means I'm still looking for the MkII British helmet

Quote by roger9344 View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply. South African, it is. That means I'm still looking for the MkII British helmet
    Still a very nice helmet North Africa theater I had to go all the way to SA to get mine! The picture above is not my one

It is in very nice condition, there is some kind of paper stuck to the inside of the liner, looks like it spent a lot of time in storage. Now I'll be looking for one of those neck flaps, if there are ever any available.

South African. The three holes on the back rim are conclusive, but the broad arrow in the "U" is the South African acceptance mark....Union of South Africa, I believe.

Cheers,

Pat

Thanks for your input. I am excited, now I have a British Mk2 on the way from England, and also just won a French Adrian M26 on eBay! I love these helmets!

Now ya have to get an Aussie & Canadian(I don't have) one too

Quote by roger9344 View Post
    It is in very nice condition, there is some kind of paper stuck to the inside of the liner, looks like it spent a lot of time in storage. Now I'll be looking for one of those neck flaps, if there are ever any available.
    These neck flaps are super rare! let me know if you find a genuine one I'd love to see it.
    Also you'll find that most of these helmets will have the black mark, mine does too.\
    Jager Rand is the liner maker. and these are reissue MK1 helmets but I'm not sure on if British or just SA made!
    here's a mine and a comparison to a British mk1

I had a feeling that neck flaps would be difficult/impossible to find. I'm thinking that Aussie tin lids are pretty rare, too. I haven't seen any offered anywhere yet. Working on the Canadian one, though. I'll have to build more shelves!

So you are saying this is a Mk I helmet, not a Mk II. What are the differences between the two?

There is so much more to know that one would think, even in so simple an item as a helmet!
    Last edited by roger9344; 02-07-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: add more comments

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast