Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Canadian Para Helmet marking - correct?

Article about: Has anyone ever seen a WWII issue 1st Can Para helmet with a C-broad-arrow stamping on the lining? I have been unable to find any information to confirm their authenticity. I have Ken Joyce'

Default WWII Canadian Para Helmet marking - correct?

Has anyone ever seen a WWII issue 1st Can Para helmet with a C-broad-arrow stamping on the lining? I have been unable to find any information to confirm their authenticity. I have Ken Joyce's book "Into the Maelstrom" but can't find any mention of the stamping. I have recently seen an "example" of this helmet and am very skeptical, as well there is a similar (perhaps it's the same one) helmet in an upcoming sale that the listing states has the C-Broad-Arrow stamping. I suspect it/both are bogus but am interested to hear if anyone else has seen or heard of a similarly marked helmet.

Default Re: WWII Canadian Para Helmet marking - correct?

Quote by Dieppe 1942 View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a WWII issue 1st Can Para helmet with a C-broad-arrow stamping on the lining? I have been unable to find any information to confirm their authenticity. I have Ken Joyce's book "Into the Maelstrom" but can't find any mention of the stamping. I have recently seen an "example" of this helmet and am very skeptical, as well there is a similar (perhaps it's the same one) helmet in an upcoming sale that the listing states has the C-Broad-Arrow stamping. I suspect it/both are bogus but am interested to hear if anyone else has seen or heard of a similarly marked helmet.
    to my knowledge only "Briggs Motor Bodies" BMB made para helmets

BMB made the majority of the liners but G&S was also believed to have produced some.

I am not convinced about these stamps. I would pass on it.

Cheers, Ade.

I also saw a para helmet marked with the C-broad arrow stamping on Ebay in the last few months (although I think that the stamp was on the helmet instead of the liner). I have a friend who collects WW2 Canpara and showed him the listing and he assured me it was a pile of rubbish and that Canpara wore British made helmets (BMB were NOT the only manufacturer). The problem with Canpara is that they wore a mixture of Canadian, British and US made kit as standard so finding something that can be attributed to them can be difficult. Given the rariety of genuine Canpara kit it does command a premium over their British counterparts. If Canpara did have C-broad arrow stamped helmets I'm sure it would have been noted in reference material by now (and heavily faked!) so I can only guess that these stamps have been put in by unscruplious (and uneducated) dealers in order to get extra profit and to create a myth. I am no expert and I am always willing to learn (and be proved wrong!) so maybe there is somebody else out there who can give you a more decisive answer (TINLID a.k.a Aaron may hold the answer for you if he's out there!)

?

I'm pretty sure the Canadians only used British HSAT during the war. So these helmets that you see for sale are probably fakes or maybe they are Canadain WW2 despatch riders helmets that were altered by the Canadians post war to make up for a shortfall that they had in HSAT during the 50's.
    Aaron