Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII US Civil Defense Grouping

Article about: I thought I would share a grouping I picked up for the sake of knowledge. The civil defense helmets are WWII era along with the armbands. The decal is that for an Air Warden. There were many

Default WWII US Civil Defense Grouping

I thought I would share a grouping I picked up for the sake of knowledge. The civil defense helmets are WWII era along with the armbands. The decal is that for an Air Warden. There were many other Civil Defense units besides Air Raid Warden. I am unsure about the Minnesota Volunteer armband as I was not able to find too much information. These are not worth very much and I mean down right cheap and it is tougher to find anyone interested in them. They came from an estate in which the Grandfather was too old to serve in WWII but served in the Civil Defense Unit in St. Paul. I am not sure what an air raid warden was looking for in the middle of the US but there must have been a feared potential. I bought for the history. You will notice the civil defense helmets had their own suspension that is different from the military standard. The decals on the helmets are more fragile than any any others I have had my hands on. I have not been able to find much info on the pin that is attached to the armband. All thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated.
    John

WWII US Civil Defense GroupingWWII US Civil Defense GroupingWWII US Civil Defense GroupingWWII US Civil Defense GroupingWWII US Civil Defense GroupingWWII US Civil Defense GroupingWWII US Civil Defense GroupingWWII US Civil Defense GroupingWWII US Civil Defense Grouping

Nice bits there John, stuff I don't see down here.

MAP
    ?

I like it! As you say, it does make you wonder what you would need an Air Raid Warden for though way out there
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I like it! As you say, it does make you wonder what you would need an Air Raid Warden for though way out there
    Invasion through Canada would be the only way to get here. We did have a significant war time industry in St. Paul but it is a stretch for Axis bombers to get here.
    John

John,
    Really nice pick up. These are items that are under appreciated in the collecting world but the service that was provided was invaluable. Great find and proud to see you got them.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

CBH
    ?

The cannel system in the Great lakes where considered a strategic priority and where heavily guarded.
    Might have been connected to that, great group of under appreciated items.

John,

Very nice collection.. Home front Civil Defense items are underappreciated. Both my grandfathers on my mom and dad's sides were Air Raid wardens.. One was an Air Raid warden in Massachusetts on the shoreline near Salisbury Beach and in the summer we would go there and the gun emplacements and concrete slabs were still there. My grandfather on my father's side was an Air raid warden in Bangor, Maine and the surrounding area. There were many U-boat sightings and events off the Maine coast and as I recall my grandfather saw at least 2 sightings.

I have my grandfathers (Dads side) helmet, reflective Same Browne belt and his identity card..

Great to see some other Civil Defense items

Smitty

Being a student of UK CD helmets, I’ve always believed these things are under-appreciated and make great displays ...they just don’t have crooked crosses, eagles etc.

Whilst I’ve seen what was supposed to be THE list of US CD markings, I’ve seen enough variants to know that the situation in the US was pretty much the same as it was in the UK during the war years......variations exist!!