MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Yet Another G.P.O Helmet!!!

Article about: Yup, you guessed it, I bought another one. This one however was "cheap as chips" as it was a shed find. It only has about 50% of it's original paintwork left, but the G.P.O. stenci

Default Yet Another G.P.O Helmet!!!

Yup, you guessed it, I bought another one. This one however was "cheap as chips" as it was a shed find. It only has about 50% of it's original paintwork left, but the G.P.O. stencil is reasonable. The liner and chinstrap were knackered so I swapped them over and gave the steel a "Vaseline bath" to bring out the shine to the remaining paint. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yet Another G.P.O Helmet!!!   Yet Another G.P.O Helmet!!!  

A MKII no2 B, looks pretty good mate
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Are you on a mission Leon to liberate as many Brit-lids as possible?there's still plenty to go judging by the ebay pages......

Quote by Anon View Post
    A MKII no2 B, looks pretty good mate
    Thanks Jerry, I put a 1940 dated liner into this one, is that OK with the steels production run as there is no manufacturer or date stamp to the helmet? Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Thanks Jerry, I put a 1940 dated liner into this one, is that OK with the steels production run as there is no manufacturer or date stamp to the helmet? Leon.
    No problem and of course liners got changed in service as well, but 40 dated is fine and probably correct
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Looks nice Leon. I too am starting to pick up quite a few MK2's now, great aren't they? What do you mean by a Vaseline bath? I only ask as I have always been told not to put Vaseline on any of my items as it can lead to further deterioration? Is this correct, or is it ok? Cheers.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Looks nice Leon. I too am starting to pick up quite a few MK2's now, great aren't they? What do you mean by a Vaseline bath? I only ask as I have always been told not to put Vaseline on any of my items as it can lead to further deterioration? Is this correct, or is it ok? Cheers.
    Hi, I cannot see why as it is only a very mild petro-chemical grease but I certainly would not leave it on anything for long. Make sure it's wiped off completely. It is often used on Third Reich zinc awards as it puts a halt to "zinc pest" that if left alone will destroy the metal. Leon.