Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1/200 Schlachtschiff Bismarck

Article about: A nice piece of work Redcap. Well done, and thank you for sharing it with us. Regards, Carl p.s. To anybody who wants to add that "at sea" rust spot around rivets etc, try using a

?

Default 1/200 Schlachtschiff Bismarck

Don't often get much time for building models these days so thought I'd try one of these "part works" where you get a magazine with a few pieces of the model each week. The nice slo wpace suits my time restrictions.

Anyway, this is my Bismarck. Made from wood in traditional model boat fashion with various bulkheads etc over which "planking" is laid to form the hull shape with hours and hours of sanding involved. The superstructure is also made from wood with the fine detail achieved by overlaying etched brass panels over the wooden carcass.

1/200 Schlachtschiff Bismarck1/200 Schlachtschiff Bismarck
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1/200 Schlachtschiff Bismarck  

?

Default Re: 1/200 Schlachtschiff Bismarck

They are intended as "full hull" models and a lot of people adapt them for remote control as working models. I dedided to set mine into a wooden base up to the waterline, and added a few 1/200 scale crew figures. She is a big beast. The badge twoards the stern is an actual High Seas Fleet Badge to give an idea of scale. Because of the size you have to stand back a fair bit to get her all in the shot so its hard to see detail.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1/200 Schlachtschiff Bismarck  

?

I decided to paint her in the colours she wore at the time of her action with the Hood. The big swastikas on the foredeck and stern had been painted over by this time, as had the diagonal black/white stripes on her hull and superstructure sides. All these features were really only from her training period in the Baltic. All she kept was the darker areas as the bow and stern and the false bow wave.

?

Forward superstructure
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1/200 Schlachtschiff Bismarck   1/200 Schlachtschiff Bismarck  

?

Funnel area

?

Midships
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1/200 Schlachtschiff Bismarck   1/200 Schlachtschiff Bismarck  

?

Aft superstructure

Working on a matching scale model of the Hood to go with her. Just hope I can find the space for it.

?

Well done. Looks like a quality set.
    Just the other day, I looked around for a Bismarck pic for another thread here and stumbled over a guy who made the Bismarck-after-the-sinking. He had the 'wreck' in his fish tank for years to build up gunk on it. I thought that nifty.
    You need to get a fish tank next, LOL
    Bismarck by Andre Krocher (Tamiya 1/350)

Very impressive. Nice work.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I wish I had room enough for building models of this size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast