Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bren gun carrier...BW style !

Article about: Gents, the child in me continues !...........Hyped on the success of my "Dinky" die cast Leopard 1 restorations, I present my latest attempt.....a 1950's-60's "Lone Star"

Default Bren gun carrier...BW style !

Gents, the child in me continues !...........Hyped on the success of my "Dinky" die cast Leopard 1 restorations, I present my latest attempt.....a 1950's-60's "Lone Star" Bren gun carrier, into a BW version.....
    " The Bundeswehr procured 300 of these vehicles between March 1956 and October 1957, they first used them in a reconnaissance role, before re assigning them as transport/supply vehicles a role they served well into the 1960's...they were Ford produced vehicles ".
    So armed with this information I decided to restore a toy die cast example....."Dinky" and "Lone Star" toy companies produced a bren gun carrier in their ranges, scaled at 1/35 for the Dinky and 1/40 for the Lone Star version.....1/43 to 1/50 are my prefered scales, so I decided on the Lone Star model/toy.
    I bought a rather ratty example from E-Bay stripped the paint, re sprayed in "Gelboliv" (Ral 6014) the correct shade of Nato green for BW vehicles added an ariel and a spare wheel set (from Dinky Leopard) and finished off with a 1/43 decal sheet of BW insignia.....the result.....a before and after shots ! Followed of a couple genuine BW examples including a prototype rocket launcher version !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bren gun carrier...BW style !   Bren gun carrier...BW style !  

Bren gun carrier...BW style !   Bren gun carrier...BW style !  

Bren gun carrier...BW style !   Bren gun carrier...BW style !  

Default Re: Bren gun carrier...BW style !

Looking good steve WE ARE ALL STILL KIDS AT HEART,KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK...........JAKE.

Default Re: Bren gun carrier...BW style !

Thanks Jake ! It is very therapeutic, it keeps me out of trouble ! I will stick to restoring and altering metal die cast 1/43 and 1/50 toys/models, as I am next to useless with plastic models and hand painting
    Its a VW Iltis jeep next...not just a repaint but a conversion jobby !...I will post when completed.
    Prost ! Steve.

well what a great little project steve ,,well worth the time and trouble to refurbish, the bw decal placement looks superb,and the real size carrier referance pictures are great ,nice job

I was told a long time ago that when building these plastic models...or this type of restoration that it was almost as relaxing as taking a mid afternoon nap..because one would sit still..and focus on what they are doing...then after awhile the eyes got tired and I ended up sleeping anyway. I am the same also..I dont have the patience i used to in painting or detail work. I remember the days I was able to drill out a hole bore at the end of a 1/35th scale MG34 for a ball mount machine gun on a Panzer class vehicle....now Im not sure if i can see the MG34 alone. Luckily I can still see my feet. Great project Steve..I would love to get back into again,,but as we get older the faster time goes by.

And then the one day you find
    Ten years have got behind you
    No one told you when to run
    You missed the starting gun ..: Pink Floyd

I always loved the accumulation of the spare parts I had in a big box..which came in handy when improvising or enhancing vehicles and dioramas. The 0000 size brushes I used to use also.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for response Larry .....it is very therapeutic indeed, but like you my eyesight is not what it was ....the spares box is growing !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bren gun carrier...BW style !  

hi steve, i have a few lone star bren gun carriers " aah nostalgia " i dont know much about die cast toys but i have noticed 2 slightly different castings of the lone star carrier.also they come in 2 different paint schemes green and sand. cheers, mike

?

Please post here next time so we can keep up with the work Steve

Cheers