Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"

Article about: Goodmorning everyone, Today arranging my old stuff, I've come in my hands my older aircraft models that I built many years ago when I was a boy. I was always fond of military history; usuall

Default Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"

Goodmorning everyone,
    Today arranging my old stuff, I've come in my hands my older aircraft models that I built many years ago when I was a boy.
    I was always fond of military history; usually I write in other rooms of the forum but I decided to show you some examples that I consider interesting, non for the capacity of realization, but for the type of subject involved.
    Below are two examples of Savoia Marchetti S79 "Sparviero (Sparrowhawk)", dubbed by British pilots and sailors "Damned Hunchback " for the characteristic dorsal hump that houses the machine-gun.
    It has had an interesting history: born in the 30s as a civil plane for fast airlines and competitions, it was converted for military use in WW2 period, first as a bomber, but with poor results, subsequently as a torpedo bomber, and in this configuration proved very effective because of its maneuverability and stability, soon he became a legendary aircraft in the history of 'the Italian Air Force and also very loved by crews because thanks to the reliability of three engines and its ruggedness often managed to go home even with severe damage.
    These examples were made from old kits 1:72 scale of the 70s, but modified and improved with details and accessories reconstructed by hand (ex:Alfa Romeo engine, Whitehead torpedo, antennas, generators, etc ..)
    As I said, nothing special but I was still very young and the basic models were not very good, however the subject is not very common.

Thanks for looking
    Roberto

Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"

252° Squadron example
    Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"

278° Squadron example
    Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"Italian torpedo bomber S79 "Sparviero"

regards
    Last edited by OldSteel; 08-13-2016 at 12:04 PM. Reason: add info

Nothing wrong with those they look well built and finished to me. I've always been interested in WW2 Italian aircraft as most of 'em were pretty quirky!...
    Last edited by Gunny Hartmann; 08-13-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Savoia-Marchetti 79 was a very good aircraft during the early war period and was quite effective, however like most Italian aircraft it suffered the fate of being over used and out dated far to quickly. Its relatively light air-frame made it very agile but incredibly prone to wing sheers and break ups. As said like most Italian aircraft very stylish and out there.

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    Savoia-Marchetti 79 was a very good aircraft during the early war period and was quite effective, however like most Italian aircraft it suffered the fate of being over used and out dated far to quickly. Its relatively light air-frame made it very agile but incredibly prone to wing sheers and break ups. As said like most Italian aircraft very stylish and out there.
    I believe you're right Morris,
    probably a real change in positive occurred in fighter area with the advent of 5 and 6 fighter series (Macchi, Reggiane and Fiat) which in good structural cells joined the powerful engines Daimler Benz 600 series; but the war had come to end.

Cheers

you made a good job on them.