Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

On Les Aura ! Poilu ,1916 .(100mm figure)

Article about: Heres my latest milliput sculpture , completely derivitive this time ! ive always admired the French WW1 poster by Abel Faivre . This one i hope to get cast in Russia through my jeweller bud

Default On Les Aura ! Poilu ,1916 .(100mm figure)

Heres my latest milliput sculpture , completely derivitive this time !
    ive always admired the French WW1 poster by Abel Faivre .
    This one i hope to get cast in Russia through my jeweller buddy !
    (still to finish tissot respirator box and bayonets too short !)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture On Les Aura ! Poilu ,1916 .(100mm figure)   On Les Aura ! Poilu ,1916 .(100mm figure)  

On Les Aura ! Poilu ,1916 .(100mm figure)  
    Last edited by Rob truscott; 03-25-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: re photographed

?

Default Re: On Les Aura ! Poilu ,1916 .(100mm figure)

Another beauty , Rob, This and the others show so much life in them,cant wait to see the castings

Another fantastic piece Rob , what will it be cast in , cheers Raymond

?

Rob , On your personal details there is another figurine pictured of a wounded man or kia , have we seen that one on the forum? It looks an interesting sculpture, made for who etc ? Cheers Dave

Bronze again ! Its not really the material that costs , rather the foundry labour . I know a jeweller who casts Soviet military collar insignia for collectors/reenactors .
    Thanks Dave , - The piece you mention was supposed to represent a fallen soldier on Lake Ladoga outside Leningrad. During the Spring thaw , ice flows carried corpses through the Neva , out to the Baltic Sea. Heres the piece on actual ice !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture On Les Aura ! Poilu ,1916 .(100mm figure)   On Les Aura ! Poilu ,1916 .(100mm figure)  

Heres the cast in bronze patinated , and embedded into clear casting Resin. I put the assembly on a glass frame , inside of which white LED lights help to illuminate the silhouette ( hard to guage from photo , but the effect is spooky !)

?

Rob , your sculptures are so thought provoking and portray the absolute futility of war and the resulting aftermath,may your fingers ever remain nimble, cheers Dave

Thanks Dave !
    Theres always a contadiction and i like gung ho figures too !
    i collect all sorts of WW1 and WW2 militaria , as well as crimean .
    If i was rich , id collect armour !
    Military Art as such is no longer a mainstream genre as it was in the 19th Century . attitudes can be quite hostile even . If i was to completely glorify the soldier , then id be called a Fascist !
    Maybe i .......

Rob,thanks for my great great father ,a French Poilu,dead in 1918,as I wrote you.I know the patriotic poster"on les aura",your sculpture is so poignant.So many sacrifices for the glory of La mere Patrie...
    Let me advice you the fantastic work of a French cartoons drawner,Jacques Tardi.His collection"C'etait la guerre des tranchées"(this was trench's war)is the ultimate work on this topic,IMO.

Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://noscommentaires.free.fr/ComptesRendusGuerre/Images/Tardi1.jpg

Thanks Sebastian !
    Heres another French Infantryman ,based on the Salonika expedition . So hes without Casque but in horizon blue , Looks interim period ! This ones a bronze example.

On Les Aura ! Poilu ,1916 .(100mm figure)   On Les Aura ! Poilu ,1916 .(100mm figure)