MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mery Christmas, Ardennes 1944.

Article about: Hi, I normally post on the edged weapons forum but I also build models and decided to post some of my old ones here for viewing, this first diorama is an old Tamiya 1/35th kit with some figu

Default Mery Christmas, Ardennes 1944.

Hi,
    I normally post on the edged weapons forum but I also build models and decided to post some of my old ones here for viewing, this first diorama is an old Tamiya 1/35th kit with some figures and the old Italeri ruin and telegraph pole. I added the cables and various pieces to the scenery, bits and bobs of stowage on the Sherman all tied down and some extra detailing to the Sherman. The snow is bicarbonate of soda mixed with alum (powdered glass) to add a frosty sparkle to it and fixed by spraying the dio with clear odourless hairspray then sprinkling the snow on with a tea strainer while holding the whole piece on it's side to get the wind blown blizzard look to the snow then laid flat for the ground snow, snow on the tank is carefully placed then fixed with the hairspray and finally matt varnish the whole thing where it has shiny spots as the hairspray tends to dry glossy. Hope you like it, It's the only winter diorama I have left and thought it appropriate for this time of year.
    Cheers! and Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to you all. Andy.
    Mery Christmas, Ardennes 1944.Mery Christmas, Ardennes 1944.Mery Christmas, Ardennes 1944.Mery Christmas, Ardennes 1944.Mery Christmas, Ardennes 1944.Mery Christmas, Ardennes 1944.

These dioramas never cease to amaze me by those who I can only call gifted in this kind of art form..to portray history as it happened.

Love the detail Andy..its is just outstanding

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

It is fantastic! and much dedication & skill needed for this art! Thanks for showing.
    Happy New Year when it comes!

Hi Larry, Thanks for your kind remarks I just played with the photo editor to try to make some look like old wartime pics just for fun. Andy.
    Mery Christmas, Ardennes 1944.Mery Christmas, Ardennes 1944.Mery Christmas, Ardennes 1944.
    Quote by Larry C View Post
    These dioramas never cease to amaze me by those who I can only call gifted in this kind of art form..to portray history as it happened.

Love the detail Andy..its is just outstanding

Regards Larry

Just fantastic, really !! I envy your patience & skill.
    D.

That diorama is insanely beautiful!

MAP
    ?

Love it.

I played a bit with the photo too. (if you don't mind).

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

This must of taken a LONG time. But worth it - first class display. The snow looks fantastic btw.
    nick

It is a simply amazing diorama.
    The footprints of the soldier in the snow are fantastic.
    It has a photographic realism.
    Congratulations and thank you for sharing such wonder.

Hi, Many thanks to you all for your very kind remarks I made this particular diorama in 2003 and it did win me a few awards at various shows including a gold medal at the U.K. I.P.M.S. Nationals but I sold it eventually so the photos are all I have left now. It took around 80 to 100 hours to complete, the footsteps in the snow were made by gluing left and right boots from a figure onto long sprues then measuring roughly the stride taking into account the guy is running then impressing the boots into the freshly applied snow to make the prints then a bit of brown wash in each print for dirt under the snow. Map no worries about using the photos feel free mate. I'm going to post some more of my models as I enjoy showing them, I don't build so much now and my techniques are a bit old school for todays competitions but I have a few projects on the go.
    Regards, Andy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast