Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Model Sub repair

Article about: Hello, About twenty years ago my son turned up with a plastic bag containing the remains of a model submarine, which was approximately 36 inches long. It had been made of balsa, plaster, and

Default Model Sub repair

Hello,
    About twenty years ago my son turned up with a plastic bag containing the remains of a model submarine, which was approximately 36 inches long. It had been made of balsa, plaster, and tinplate, which had been heavily lacquered. He had bought it at an auction for £20.00 having decided that his Dad would be able to mend it, so I was committed to attempt it!
    Whoever made it clearly knew something about 'Boats' as it looked very much like a German type IX. It had originally been powered by elastic driving a large single screw and had large out of scale hydroplanes. This indicates that it would be capable of diving and then surfacing at the end of it's run due to a slightly positive buoyancy.
    I decided to re-build it using as much of the original as possible, but, by adding exterior ballast tanks, to make everything above the waterline appear like a late war type VIIc so I could add some A/A weapons as they were fitted with these extra arms at that time.
    Nothing is claimed to be to scale and weapons, scopes etc are made from junk. Old biro's, bit's of tube and wire, clock and watch part's and so on. The casing repairs were made with skin ply which was difficult as the whole was very fragile. The weapons were made from imagination and whatever was at hand.
    Like some of my other models I will occasionally give it a re-fit and add extra bit's as I find something useful, so it's always ongoing. However in the past I managed to sell enough model ships to enable me to buy a small boat of my own which I lived on and so got my foot on the boat property ladder.
    Anyway I'll try and attach a series of pic's to show how it slowly progressed. I make no claim to have the skills of Swerge or Panzer3 and other model makers, but it keeps me happy.
    Best wishes,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Model Sub repair   Model Sub repair  

Model Sub repair   Model Sub repair  

Default Re: Model Sub repair

Hello,
    Hopefully these are the remaining pic's.
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Model Sub repair   Model Sub repair  

?

That`s a great looking job .I have always wanted to build a U-Boat from scratch.Will you let your boy have it back now?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

very nice job

Quote by zwerge View Post
    That`s a great looking job .I have always wanted to build a U-Boat from scratch.Will you let your boy have it back now?
    Hello Pete,
    My 'little boy' is now a 30 year old deep sea fisherman. I'm holding the boat for him until he's got somewhere to display it. Meantime I'll keep going with the re-fits and the other boats which always need some work doing. Oh yes, the militaria collection keeps growing so there's always cataloguing and restoration to get on with. I don't have time to get bored!
    I've found some more old photo's, these are of 'MV Detritus', taken about 25 years ago, (I don't have grey hair!). This one was made from old fish boxes for the planks and frames, 12 bore inert primers with perspex inserts for portholes, and usual scrap wire, plastic choc box lids for bridge windows, scrap skin ply, card etc. It was radio controlled by a unit salvaged from a discarded toy car.
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Hi guy,
    That sub raised from the dead or what, you did a great job on it.
    It looks really good, and to say the ship was made from scratch
    well you have a talent. I know nothing of electrics ect so the motors are out for a start. Well done mate, i am building a ramp for my V1 flying bomb at the moment, ( ade,s idea) as i have no stand for it so i asked for some thoughts on it. This is made from
    bits that i find.
    dave.

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi guy,
    That sub raised from the dead or what, you did a great job on it.
    It looks really good, and to say the ship was made from scratch
    well you have a talent. I know nothing of electrics ect so the motors are out for a start. Well done mate, i am building a ramp for my V1 flying bomb at the moment, ( ade,s idea) as i have no stand for it so i asked for some thoughts on it. This is made from
    bits that i find.
    dave.
    Hello Dave,
    Thank you for your comments. I really do enjoy repairs, restoration, and scratch building, (as the materials are free!), only problem with that is my workroom is always full of things that 'may come in handy'.
    I'd like to see some more of your work, from what I've seen previously it's you that have the skills and more importantly the patience to make such good scale models.
    I'm surprised that Ade hasn't asked you to make him a T 34, I believe Combaton has one that they rent out for films and TV. I think they are close to your part of the country?
    Have you had a look at the lovely work Zwerge is turning out in Canada?
    I've added a couple of pics, again, well before I went grey, of an RAF rescue MTB. I still have that one and it's been re-fitted many times now, also radio controlled. In the background are a couple of the ones I, sold when finished, to finance my own real boat.

Glad to be in touch again,
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Mate , dont doubt you model building skills , this work is awesome , the rebuild on the sub is stunning , cheers Raymond