Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tamiya Universal (Bren) Carrier Mk II. 1/35th scale

Article about: Well guys and girls, as promised absolutely ages ago, I'm finally putting up some photo's of the Bren carrier that's been sitting on my desk waiting to be finished for ages. The vehicle is a

Default Re: Tamiya Universal (Bren) Carrier Mk II. 1/35th scale

very nice diorama, you've done the carrier proud but i did notice something wrong with the kit which i can hardly believe as tamiya are an excellent company. the carrier is the same as a mk2 in every way except for the hinged gunners flap on the left side, you can make out a detail line and the 2 hinges but this was only on the mk1 not the mk2 they ommitted the flap to streamline production, you should tell tamiya they might give you a couple of free kits for pointing it out

eddy

?

Quote by eddy8men View Post
    very nice diorama, you've done the carrier proud but i did notice something wrong with the kit which i can hardly believe as tamiya are an excellent company. the carrier is the same as a mk2 in every way except for the hinged gunners flap on the left side, you can make out a detail line and the 2 hinges but this was only on the mk1 not the mk2 they ommitted the flap to streamline production, you should tell tamiya they might give you a couple of free kits for pointing it out

eddy

Thanks for the comments Eddy, and thanks for pointing out the glitch on the gunners panel, I knew that there was something "not quite right", in that area, but just couldnt spot it. Imay just take you up on the suggestion of getting in touch with the guys at Tamiya, you never know what may happen

I think what confuses people with this little vehicle is the fact that there was that many versions/additions/subtractions, both official and un-official, to it in its service life with God knows how many armies in the world, that trying to get the original base spec right is nigh on impossible! (I believe that the Irish army finally pensioned theres off in the mid/late 1960's and there are documented examples of them being used by various Middle Eastern armies up to the late 1960's/1970's(?) Plenty of scope for conversions around then
    There are also some well known photos around of the carrier in captured German BeutePanzer guise as well.

As I'm sure that you are aware, the Tamiya base kit has been around for about 30 years give or take a couple and has gone through at least 3 re-incarnations to my knowledge.

Current "versions" that are, or have been, available are:
    MkII "North Africa"
    MkII "European Campaign"
    MkII "Forced Reconnaissance"

All based on the original North African version of the kit, the main differences in them being a re-vamped transfer/decal sheet, the addition of a new personal weapons sprue and crew in BD, you still get the original crew in desert kit as well though.

Anyway, enough ramblings for now, got some research to do.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

hi ian
    you know the funny thing is, the mk1 and 2 are pretty much identical it's only the hinged armour, tow hitch and headlamps that give it away on first glance
    it's such an obvious mistake i'm sure someone would have let them know by now but then why would they keep sending out wrong kits ? i'd definately let them know and see what happens.

eddy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2