Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SGT. L. F. Bond, 53rd Welsh Div TA Div Signals

Article about: My fathers service records have turned up, it only took a year and a half, though as I had moved they posted them to my old address, though they had been notified of the move and when I cont

Default SGT. L. F. Bond, 53rd Welsh Div TA Div Signals

My fathers service records have turned up, it only took a year and a half, though as I had moved they posted them to my old address, though they had been notified of the move and when I contacted them last week they said they would send me a new set ASAP.

I was finally able to find out which Division he served with (at the start of the war), the 53rd Welsh TA in the divisional signals and to find out a bit about his mention in despatches, though only the page number and the date it was gazetted in the London Gazette on the 27th of November 1945. Interestingly the army have him as being born on the 27th of November 1917, whilst his birth certificate has him as being born on the same date in 1919. Either way his mention was posted on his birthday, though not sure if it was his 28th or his 26th.

I'm still working my way through the documents and will post them when I can copy them, though I notice he was on his way to Malaya and was diverted to the Middle East,though I have yet to work out which unit he served with as I am sure the 53rd Welsh did not serve in that area, only at home and then in N. Europe after D Day.

Viewing Page 5808 of Issue 37368 He is listed about one third down on the left hand column.

More to follow.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: SGT. L. F. Bond, 53rd Welsh Div TA Div Signals

Same birthday as me Jerry, small world.

Lucky for him (and you) that he didn't end up in the bag by the Japs...

?

I've been researching the Battle of the Reichswald Jerry and 53 Welsh Div were heavily involved there in early 1945 doing most of the fighting inside the notorious forest itself !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Some more of the documents and I have yet to work out what some of it means. In particular his service after he went abroad is yet to be worked out as to its meaning. I know from his medals that he was in Africa and Italy, but with which units I have yet to work out. I already knew his mention was for carrying a wounded soldier to safety whilst under enemy fire on a bridge, but not when or where and I can only get that information from the archives at Kew.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SGT. L. F. Bond, 53rd Welsh Div TA Div Signals   SGT. L. F. Bond, 53rd Welsh Div TA Div Signals  

SGT. L. F. Bond, 53rd Welsh Div TA Div Signals   SGT. L. F. Bond, 53rd Welsh Div TA Div Signals  

SGT. L. F. Bond, 53rd Welsh Div TA Div Signals   SGT. L. F. Bond, 53rd Welsh Div TA Div Signals  

Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Paul E View Post
    I've been researching the Battle of the Reichswald Jerry and 53 Welsh Div were heavily involved there in early 1945 doing most of the fighting inside the notorious forest itself !
    Hi Paul, I an certain he was not in that area at that time, but still in Italy I think.

Did you notice this thread I posted recently and the book mentioned, as it covers the area you mention and the 53rd's involvement and from the RWF's library I think.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/docs-...d-wwii-269189/
    Regards,

Jerry

Seems a good place to post my fathers medals, cap badge and the two pictures of him in the desert,though I have shown there before.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SGT. L. F. Bond, 53rd Welsh Div TA Div Signals   SGT. L. F. Bond, 53rd Welsh Div TA Div Signals  

Regards,

Jerry

?

Proper old sweat Jerry !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

With some help on another forum and looking at them again some of the abbreviations have been deciphered and it seems he served with 73rd heavy AA regiment, then with 7th GOR, -not certain on this one-, then with 3rd AA regiment operations room?, then 48th AA regiment ops room, then 16th line of communications L of C signals regiment, then 1st L of C signals regiment which I think was in Rome.
    Regards,

Jerry

Very interesting Jerry !!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast