Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Americans in the Waffen SS

Article about: Here is a list of Americans who fought with the Waffen SS , many Americans of German descent fought for the States but here are some who returned to their original roots. Charles MacDonald (

Default Re: Americans in the Waffen SS

A bit of info on him:

At this time, another Briton, Thomas Haller Cooper (who used the German version of Cooper – Boettcher – as his last name), arrived at the camp. Cooper, unable to obtain public service employment in Britain due to his mother's German nationality, joined the BUF. During a visit to Germany in 1939, he became trapped there by the war and joined the Waffen-SS. He was posted to the SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler (LAH), where he eventually transferred to the infamous SS "Totenkopf" infantry training battalion. He became a machine-gun instructor with the 5th Totenkopf Regiment and was made an NCO. Following the German invasion of the Soviet Union, he was assigned to the Wachbattaillon Oranienburg outside Kraków, Poland, where he allegedly told BFC men that he committed atrocities against Soviet POWs, Polish civilians, and Jewish prisoners. Later, he served as transport driver in the SS-Polizei-Division, which was posted to Schablinov, a town on the Leningrad front, replacing the mangled forces of the Spanish Blue Division. When Soviets attacked the division on 13 February 1943, Cooper was hit in the legs by shell splinters, evacuated, and awarded the Wound Badge in Silver, becoming the only Englishman to obtain a German combat decoration.[1]
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Americans in the Waffen SS
    P
    Many

Jonesy
    ?

Thanks Wolfspear, great feedback.

Mark

You are welcome Mark and welcome to the forum
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

A further titbit on the BFC , on the 22nd of march they where ordered to move to the HQ of the Nordland div at Angermunde , from there they where sent to join the divisional armoured recon batt ( 11 . ss - panzer - Aufklarunsabteilung ) in Grussow . It was here that the BFC where to nearly go into combat but where pulled out in April before any combat was seen .
    On the 19th April the BFC had a surprise in the form of a man called Douglas Berneville - claye dressed in a black ss tank uniform with the rank of Hauptsturmfuhrer who had come to lead the BFC into battle . This didnot happen as cooper basically told him to go away . Claye was the only member of the BFC to of been an officer in A squadron 1 SAS .

Thanks for that Ash, I wasnt aware of that

Nick

Hi Guys,

Not only was Berneville-Claye a traitor, he was also a thief, complete bounder and all round cad!!

Check him out here: Douglas Berneville-Claye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The b*****d also got away with it too!!!

Disgruntled, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Blimey! He even pulled the wool over Felix Steiners eyes !!!

Thanks for the link Ned

Nick

?

As far as i know he was just a Walter Mitty character , as for him being an SS Hauptsturmfuhrer and dining with Steiner !!!!!

No facts or records exist to support this at all , another part of his "Walter " stories or fabricated by some historians to make the whole BFK more exiting than it actually was !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I only wrote what is written in Adrian Weales Renegades Hitlers Englishmen book . As far as all the scumbags who served in the BFC every single one of them as told " stories " .

Jonesy
    ?

First I've heard of him too! Thanks for the link Big Ned, Amazon methinks to buy the book!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast