Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ardennes 1944 by Anthony Beevor

Article about: Just completed this book and can recommend it for those interested in this major battle. Easy reading and covers the Battle of the Bulge in detail. Now available in paperback.

Default Ardennes 1944 by Anthony Beevor

Just completed this book and can recommend it for those interested in this major battle. Easy reading and covers the Battle of the Bulge in detail. Now available in paperback.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ardennes 1944 by Anthony Beevor
    P
    Many

I have it on my bookshelf a while now, it'll be queued up for my next read.
    "Per Ardua"

Saw it on the bookshelf at work, picked it up and read it cover to cover in a few days. It's gotten me into the rest of Beevor's works, and I can sincerely recommend all of them. Currently working my way through his book on Stalingrad. Detailed history in a narrative format that anyone can understand. Definitely not light reading, but I've learnt plenty from the Ardennes one alone. It's the personal accounts from individual soldiers, from both sides, that I find the most intriguing. Adds that human element that most books on the subject lack.
    There's also one he's written that covers the entirety of the Second World War in a similar way. Haven't read it yet, but it's nestled in my bookshelf waiting for its time.

B.B.

Thanks for replies. Just starting Unknown Eastern Front by Rolf Dieter Muller. Covers the involvement of Germany's allies and volunteers from neutral and occupied territories.

Lightbulb

I risk sounding like the guy who walks into St Pauls Cathedral and shouts 'B******s!' here......

I don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the book and there's no argument that Beevor's 'Ardennes 1944' is very readable and a best-seller, but caution needs to be exercised when reading it. For example, he takes Peiper's post-war interrogation boasts at face value ( eg driving a Panther 80 miles at night personally - he didn't, he ordered it to be done) etc.

But a disappointment for me was the assertion on p.164 about KG Peiper reaching Trois Ponts and the bridges being blown in front of them. 'Furious...Peiper decided to return to Stavelot and take the road along the north bank of the Ambleve....etc'.

Quite a feat. Peiper was already on the north bank and had been ever since crossing the Ambleve Bridge at Stavelot. He never returned to Stavelot - simply turning right at Trois Ponts toward La Gleize.

I know it sounds like anorak stuff, but that's a key point in the Battle and somewhat reduced my confidence in the book......it's OK as a starter book on the Battle, but there's deeper research out there if you really want to get into it.

Nothing wrong with some constructive comments Martin. I like to read reviews before buying a certain book and this one received more good ones than bad. Thanks for pointing out these facts.

I read it a few months and thought it was good, very readable, though some of the photo identification is a little suspect,

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    I risk sounding like the guy who walks into St Pauls Cathedral and shouts 'B******s!' here......

I don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the book and there's no argument that Beevor's 'Ardennes 1944' is very readable and a best-seller, but caution needs to be exercised when reading it. For example, he takes Peiper's post-war interrogation boasts at face value ( eg driving a Panther 80 miles at night personally - he didn't, he ordered it to be done) etc.

But a disappointment for me was the assertion on p.164 about KG Peiper reaching Trois Ponts and the bridges being blown in front of them. 'Furious...Peiper decided to return to Stavelot and take the road along the north bank of the Ambleve....etc'.

Quite a feat. Peiper was already on the north bank and had been ever since crossing the Ambleve Bridge at Stavelot. He never returned to Stavelot - simply turning right at Trois Ponts toward La Gleize.

I know it sounds like anorak stuff, but that's a key point in the Battle and somewhat reduced my confidence in the book......it's OK as a starter book on the Battle, but there's deeper research out there if you really want to get into it.
    Good point

Charles B Macdonalds "A Time for Trumpets" is also a good book on the Ardennes battle and drew narrative from veteran accounts at the time as well as after action reports. Beevor does have his craw backs but nothing compared to Charles Whiting, whose books are just bad. Period.

?

Quote by Martin Bull View Post

I can only concur with everything that Martin has alluded too regarding Beevors Ardennes , some of this book has been very poorly researched and the examples given above are completely inexcusable for such a high profile Military History Author . These are not little known facts about combat that isn't well known ,they are mistakes regarding one of the most researched and written about actions of the whole Battle of the Bulge.

His Normandy book also contains some glaring errors including the famous Battle at Villers Bocage where he continues with some of the myths regarding the actions which were proved to be incorrect years ago . He claims that Wittmann returned to point 213 after his run into Villers to finish the Battle with the 4CLY A Sq and the Rifle Brigade and that on the afternoon Wittmann returnded to VB with units of the 2nd Panzer Divison. Both facts are totally untrue and are real historical howlers.

I was a fan of Beevor following his Stalingrad / Berlin books but must admit that as a result of his latest efforts i find myself questioning the quality of his earlier work . as Martin has said there are far better books , researched to a much deeper level on both Battles.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast