Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Art stolen by the Nazi's found in Munich

Article about: Hello all , just thought I would bring this disgraceful act to your attention, if I have posted this in the wrong section I apologise in advance. 1,500 pieces of "looted" art inclu

At least they have been found. Great thread!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Art stolen by the Nazi's found in Munich
    P
    Many

?

I would love to know how much of the stolen Art, jewels, gold and silver made it to South America (Argentina) via u boat.

?

Just the tip of the iceberg. The vast majority of stolen art has never been recovered. Many (not all) paintings will have a crudely painted PR on the back.
    One train in Bavaria, not sure how many box cars, contents simply disappeared at the end of the war.
    There was a fellow in Austria that had several buildings full of suspected stolen art, can't recall his name at the moment,. Austria has never officially done anything about it.
    The Czech Republic has a vast collection of Judaicia art gathered by the Nazis to document the "extinct Hebrew race" is still held by the Czech government. No attempt to repatriate anything. Russia has a lot, same thing. I really do not believe that this material will ever be given up. What has been recovered to date is just a small percentage of what was stolen.

The subject of looted art, and it's possible restitution to previous owners is a political hotcake, and a better understanding of the situation is required by those who may wish to comment on it and the difficulties and potential results of doing so.

Therefore I post this informative article from the Telegraph without comment other than to say it is essential reading for those with an interest in the subject.

Nazi art: does Germany have a problem returning art stolen by the Nazis? - Telegraph

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Shhh, don't mention the Elgin marbles, or one closer to my heart the Mold gold cape (currently on loan to the Nat museum of Wales), all long held by the British Museum. The list is endless of items with dubious ownership held by institutions around the world.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

It is all a matter of who you know or profit to one a other, call it politics or what ever, facts are there!
    It would be good that such matters would be investigated to see who was involved and at what level,to cover up such things.It might reveal some surprises!!
    I can not lay hand on it or give the exact details right now, but many goods and houses of former party members where confiscated after the war but by some magic, "sold "back to relatives at very low prices.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Shhh, don't mention the Elgin marbles, or one closer to my heart the Mold gold cape (currently on loan to the Nat museum of Wales), all long held by the British Museum. The list is endless of items with dubious ownership held by institutions around the world.
    Talking about the Elgin marbles! Would you happen to know who is copying and selling them.
    In fact I know who it is but he is changing pseudo's quiet often and we would need a adress where one could find him in person.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    The subject of looted art, and it's possible restitution to previous owners is a political hotcake, and a better understanding of the situation is required by those who may wish to comment on it and the difficulties and potential results of doing so.

Therefore I post this informative article from the Telegraph without comment other than to say it is essential reading for those with an interest in the subject.

Nazi art: does Germany have a problem returning art stolen by the Nazis? - Telegraph

Regards, Ned.
    Interesting article Ned.

The legal ownership of art works from this period is at best a minefield.
    Many works sold by individuals at a pittance trying to escape the Nazi government and sold legally at the time to museums and collectors around the world are in, at best, a foggy area. The Nazis publicly destroyed 1000 + modern art pieces in the 30s because nobody was buying them. The result was collectors and museums from primarily the USA and other western countries began movements to save the works of modern artists. Can they morally and legally be held responsible today ? Therein lies the rub. Certainly they got bargains at the time and saved extremely important works of the western civilization were saved from certain destruction. The works that were outright thefts from Jews and non-Jewish individuals and museums should be returned if possible. The works that were legally transferred at the time who the hell knows? The hoard in question are primarily the "degenerate art" that were headed for destruction. If I owned one I sure as hell wouldn't voluntarily give it up.
    My thoughts.

There IS hope, that one day, possibly one day... the Bernsteinzimmer will surface

I knew of a 101st Airbrne vet who got his hands on some famous art in the Obersalzburg. I knew one dealer who had seen some of it many years ago. The fellow did not know how to market his ill gotten gains. A friend of mine was doing a motel buy in the area where the vet lived in the mid 1980's. I gave him a heads up on the situation. The guy actually called him. However, he got cold feet mid conversation and hung up on him. I had done a number of motel buys in the area over the years and he never called me. I often wonder what happened to the stuff as he is likely now deceased and there never was anything in the news about stolen Nazi art turning up in his hometown.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast