Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Badges of a Panzer crewman...

Article about: Hello all, A friend of mine kindly asked me to find some information about a distant relative that served under the 3rd Reich as a Panzer crew member. Wolfgang Sonnenhohl was enlisted at the

Default Badges of a Panzer crewman...

Hello all,

A friend of mine kindly asked me to find some information about a distant relative that served under the 3rd Reich as a Panzer crew member.

Wolfgang Sonnenhohl was enlisted at the age of 17 and went MIA presumably dead at the age of 19 near Lodtz in January 1945.
    In the pictures there is an official report of the investigation that was done during 1970's for the fate of Wolfgang but the conclusion is that he most certainly died during the severe fighting with the Red Army.

Now the question that my friend asked my was "what kind of badges and awards he might have won" so he can create a display of his photo and his awards...

Now my first thoughts were:

EK2
    EK1,
    Tank destruction badge,
    Wound Badge,
    German Cross,
    Close Combat Clasp,
    Tank Destruction strip,
    War Merit Cross 1st class,
    General Assault Badge,
    Knight's Cross (a bit difficult according to his age, what do you think?)
    Russian Front Medal,
    SA sports badge & DRL Sports Badge again not possible due to his age...

Now this is my list so far... Have I missed anything? What do you think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Badges of a Panzer crewman...   Badges of a Panzer crewman...  

Badges of a Panzer crewman...   Badges of a Panzer crewman...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Badges of a Panzer crewman...
    P
    Many

IMO,

EK2.....Likely
    EK1......possibly
    Tank destruction badge....not likely(same as Tank Destruction Strip)
    Wound Badge.....likely
    German Cross.....possibly/not likely
    Close Combat Clasp....possibly
    Tank Destruction strip....not likely/possibly
    War Merit Cross 1st class.....probably not
    General Assault Badge....not likely
    Knight's Cross (a bit difficult according to his age, what do you think?).........not likely
    Russian Front Medal.......depending on date
    SA sports badge & DRL Sports Badge again not possible due to his age......probably not

Don't forget Panzer Kampfabzeichen in silver.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thank you for your topic, as it does mention my city.

Maybe:

Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold
    Eiserner Kreuz 2 Klasse
    Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2 Klasse mit Schwertern
    Panzerkampfabzeichen / Grade?
    Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen / Grade ?

Most of the awards listed are theoretically possible, with their likelihood ranging from extremely unlikely to highly probable.

He couldn't have been awarded the Eastern Medal [Ostmedaille], as that required participation in the 1941/1942 Winter Campaign.

As a tanker, he wouldn't have been awarded the General Assault Badge [Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen], but the Tank Combat Badge in Silver [Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber]. This is in fact by far his likeliest award.

A Tank Destruction Strip/Badge [Panzervernichtungsabzeichen] is unlikely for a tanker, as it was for destroying a tank with handheld, close-range weapons.

The Knight's Cross [Ritterkreuz] had nothing to do with age, but what makes you think he could have been a recipient? Ditto for the German Cross in Gold [Deutsches Kreuz in Gold]. These were prestigious, high awards for bravery and leadership.

The Iron Cross 2nd Class [Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse] is fairly likely, the 1st Class possible, the War Merit Cross 1st Class [Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse] very unlikely.

?

Thumbs up

It would seem to me that most of these were very unlikely, but for sure the silver Panzer badge and "Possibly" a 25 numbered one?
    And having been killed in combat the Gold Wound badge.
    Have you tried checking the Bundes Arkiv for a rekord of him? If those rekords can be found they will tell you at least some of what he had earned/been awarded.
    Sarge

To be honest I haven't done any further research on him but it could be a very nice thing to do! Unfortunatelly I don't know how...
    As for the badges and awards above there were only possibilities since there are no other records of him besides what I show you above... Everything else is lost!!

I've seen photographs of Panzer crewmen wearing General Assault badges... That's why I thought that these could be bestowed to tankers as well!
    As for the Knight's Cross, there is nothing certain or hint about his career since all records were destroyed!

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    I've seen photographs of Panzer crewmen wearing General Assault badges... That's why I thought that these could be bestowed to tankers as well!
    These were for self propelled gun crews, not normally tank crew members.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    These were for self propelled gun crews, not normally tank crew members.
    Ralph.
    Sorry, these were more commonly for Artillery. Self propelled guns normally would earn a bronze Panzer Kampfabzeichen.
    Ralph.

Thank you all for your input!!