Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BOOKS!!! German History Book, surprise gift from my wife!

Article about: So, were just having having an afternoon tea and some things she baked ;-) I should back up... we started listening to Guns of August last night, amazing, absolutely riveting, I listened til

Default BOOKS!!! German History Book, surprise gift from my wife!

DISCLAIMER! I'm putting this out here for like minded serious bookworms and history buffs.

So, were just having having an afternoon tea and some things she baked ;-) I should back up... we started listening to Guns of August last night, amazing (just mentioned by someone on the forum the other day, whoever it was thx! ;-), absolutely riveting - to me anyway - she went to bed and I listened til 1:30 in the morning (seven chapters in a row!) and was really out of it this morning... Anyway, we're talking about the book, about Germany's desires for war, Belgium, the war of 1870... Not in the book, but an incredible chunk of France was occupied until "reparations" were paid, like what the allies did to Germany in 1918...

And I'm wondering out loud, so... if the Germans won the war of 1870, why do they want war again so bad in 1914, because this time they'd won the last one, not like WWI being "lost" and leading up to WWII.

Everytime you read about a damn war, you need to read about the one before that, and the one before that... And lately I find myself fascinated by the "interwar years" leading up to WWII, and now by the leadup to WWI...

So, she walks over to her bookcase, and way down low hidden by a big armchair, she grabs for this and brings it over. From Charlemagne to Hitler, A Political History of Germany.

Wow, I didn't even know she had that, what a book!

So now, I can start at the beginning, and read about all these wars in the proper order

You can't get too much history!!!

I also just started reading The History of WWII by C. L. Sulzberger (the original 1966 book) and this man has amazing insights, as well as info I'd never heard of before (this is while 1/3rd of the way into reading Keenan's WWII history volume), the info and insights in the Sulzberger book are amazing... "Germany, an army looking for a country", the amount of reparations, I hadn't seen this one before, 56 Billion US in 1918 dollars, and by 1920 something, Germans were using their money to cook with... Interestingly by the early 30's, everything was well again, so well in fact that the Nazi government was able to pay recruits six times the rate of French soldiers! I guess stripping large numbers of their goods really pays off...

Also in the Sulzberger book, forget about the rabble Freikorps "fighting the whites" and all that... higher up the food chain, the German general staff never disbanded, they went underground and were in league with the Russian govt, they'd teach the Russians how to fight better, the Russians would let them us the factories to make weapons including the budding Stuka. Yes, in Russia, their "mortal enemy", the Germans secretly rearming...

History, it's nuts...

Oh, I almost forgot, here's the book, and she gave it to me, mine. This one should lay some groundwork for modern history ;-)

BOOKS!!! German History Book, surprise gift from my wife!

PS Neat thing is it's MLK day today, so no goodies in the mail... ;-( but I still managed to pickup something to feed the addiction
    Last edited by Larboard; 01-19-2016 at 02:51 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement BOOKS!!! German History Book, surprise gift from my wife!
    P
    Many

Sounds like a great read. Enjoy it.

BOOKS!!! German History Book, surprise gift from my wife!I have more if you like it, that is, more books to read about German history. It is a truly great subject of enduring interest and drama, just as it is again, today!

I thank your wife for giving you a book that makes you think, versus the silly collector books with too many pictures.

BOOKS!!! German History Book, surprise gift from my wife!The head of the British Museum is a Germanophile, and he recently wrote a book and had an exhibition on Germany, which might be a good place for persons to start
    who want to know more than just "crimped prongs" and dealer collector jazz out of context.

I can suggest lots of things to read, really. I do it for a living.

- - ------- - -

Maybe our UK persons here can give a hint of where to find the above.

and I found this from what strikes me as a solid class at a UK university.

Berghahn, Volker R., Modern Germany: society, economy, and politics in the twentieth century, Cambridge; New York; Melbourne: Cambridge University Press, 1987.

Craig, Gordon A., Germany, 1866-1945, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1978.

Blackbourn, David, History of Germany 1780-1918: The long nineteenth century. 2nd ed., Oxford: Balckwell, 2003.

Fulbrook, Mary and Breuilly, John, eds., German History Since 1800, New York/ London: Edward Arnold, 1997.

Mommsen, Hans, The rise and fall of Weimar democracy, Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1996.

Mommsen, Wolfgang J., Imperial Germany 1867-1918: politics, culture, and society in an authoritarian state, London; New York: Arnold, 1995.

Nipperdey, Thomas, Germany from Napoleon to Bismarck, 1800-1866 Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, 1996.

Sheehan, James J., German History, 1770-1866. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1989.

Wehler, Hans-Ulrich, The German Empire 1871-1918 (translated by Kim Traynor), Leamington Spa: Berg, 1985.

The above are college text books, which might cause huge cognitive dissonance in some, but since I was recently fragged by persons in the UK about being an academic, so be it. Also, from my correspondence with colleague Larboard, I think he can take it.

also of use, but not a book, of course, since some of you no longer use them....

German History in Documents and Images

BOOKS!!! German History Book, surprise gift from my wife!One volume that I like, which treats Europe generally, is this one, which I think is first rate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast