Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Can't find any records

Article about: Hi, I posted originally in the Uniforms section but am trying to find any information on 6./Gren. Rgt. 178. Is this the whole name? Does anyone know of a roll call database? Thanks in advanc

Default Can't find any records

Hi,
    I posted originally in the Uniforms section but am trying to find any information on 6./Gren. Rgt. 178.
    Is this the whole name?
    Does anyone know of a roll call database?

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can't find any records
    P
    Many

?

Hi,

That's the abbreviation for the 6. Kompanie, Grenadier-Regiment 178; I'd think you'd have to go to the German government- the Deutsche Dienststelle in particular- to find information like you want. My father got his uncle's service record through them so if you're looking for a particular person, they're the folks to ask. Bear in mind though that a lot of records were lost in the war, and siezed by the victorious powers so exist in archives in Moscow, Washington DC and elsewhere so there may not be anything or very much- my Great Uncle's record was very minimal.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thank you Matt. I have submitted a search request with the Deutsche Dienststelle. We will see what happens.

Some info in German Infanterieregiment 178 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    Grenadier-Regiment 178
    emerged on 15 October 1942 by the renaming of the 178 Infantry Regiment and the 76th Infantry Division assumed. The regiment was destroyed in February 1943 in Stalingrad.
    New set up on 16 March 1943 in Brittany by the Grenadier Regiment 876, the III. Battalion through the remnants of the old regiment. For shipment to Russia was fas regiment back the I. Battalion in Italy, it was the Grenadier-Regiment 755 incorporated. After the defeat at Jassy in September 1944 the regiment in southern Hungary was refreshed.
    76. Infanterie-Division (Wehrmacht)

?

Sure thing- I hope they have something for you. You should note that just like anywhere, personal information is protected so the Deutsche Dienststelle won't just give it out to anyone- my Dad had to get my Grandmother, being the nearest living relative, to formally request her brother's record; so if you're looking for a family member's record you too might have to go a roundabout way if you're not the closest blood relative. But presumably they'll provide you all the details if they do find anything.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...