Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Doctor at Stalingrad by Hans Dibold

Article about: Have not read this World war 2 book due to the expense and lack of availability. I have read a review which attests to it shocking content and was wondering if any forum members have read th

Question Doctor at Stalingrad by Hans Dibold

Have not read this World war 2 book due to the expense and lack of availability. I have read a review which attests to it shocking content and was wondering if any forum members have read this book or know where it could be purchased second hand without bankrupting someone. It does sound like a dynamite read.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Doctor at Stalingrad  by Hans Dibold
    P
    Many

Default Re: Doctor at Stalingrad by Hans Dibold

Depends what you consider as bankrupt. There's 3 available second hand for less than £30, or approximately $45 on Amazon.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Depends what you consider as bankrupt. There's 3 available second hand for less than £30, or approximately $45 on Amazon.
    Thanks Big Ned I will check it out. Hell of a lot cheaper than new.

?

That's the price on the UK Amazon for the 1958 1st edition- the '01 reprint is still pretty expensive at 50GBP; on Amazon.com it's at least $55, and disgustingly on Amazon.ca it's $113CAD... amazing.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

i find amazon.ca expensive compared to its counterpart even when you include shipping and money conversion and the selection is not as good either

Wonder why this book is so expensive? What is it made of gold or something. Was interested in a couple of books by T. Lettesier. One was titled Slaughter at Halbe but no book store had it and on line it was another rip off. Maybe its the publisher. Thanks for replies.

I have Doctor at Stalingrad and its OK, certainly not a gripping page by page read by any means but rather a factual account of the deprivations suffered by the prisoners and medical staff alike. Apart from many interesting anecdotes it actually was not more than I expected in terms of tales of hardship, starvation, disease, lice, rats and lingering death. The positive light in which the author portrays the Russian authorities was interesting as I expected a tale of brutal repercussions so overall it is a good book and at $50 or so I would recommend it for any Eastern front library.

- - Updated - -

Slaughter at Halbe is another publication I own and is also a recommended read. Quality books in regard to our somewhat limited area of interest (compared to the general public at large) necessitate a higher cost but such is the price of building a satisfactory library of reference material.

Good looking out Glenn. Sometimes one can get lucky browsing second hand bookstores as I have managed to find a couple that were very reasonable. Am a member of Military Book Club which sometimes gives good deals around Christmas time But usually its buy 2 and get 1 for free deals. Thanks for your reply and I will continue to pass on titles that I have found to be Exceptional reads.