Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

does anyone know if hitler had a small yacht?

Article about: Here is a link to everything you ever want to know about Hitler's Yacht: hitler's yacht - Google Search Johnny R. Quite an interesting read.

Default does anyone know if hitler had a small yacht?

between 1982 & 1985 I was stationed in Gaeta Italy, well one day after getting off duty I was walking down to the bar district, there was a yacht sitting there tied up to a dock with a crowd around it taking pictures, well it had the nazi flag on back, this thing was fantastic, looked like teak wood on the deck, brass shiny as gold, one of the locals told me it was hitlers, I wasn't really sure but I do know it must have cost a small fortune. anyway I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement does anyone know if hitler had a small yacht?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: does anyone know if hitler had a small yacht?

I dont think Hitler had a yacht,Herman Goering had a yacht called the "Karin II" which survived the war and changed hands many times, one owner being linked to the fake "Hitler Diaries" scandal. He would host parties on it with various guests who had links to surviving German generals, party memebers etc, sort of like an "Old Nazis" club, he eventually sold it on, and it recently sold again, I think it is now in Engalnd, I even believe the British Navy used it post war as well.

Quote by qotd View Post
    I dont think Hitler had a yacht,Herman Goering had a yacht called the "Karin II" which survived the war and changed hands many times, one owner being linked to the fake "Hitler Diaries" scandal. He would host parties on it with various guests who had links to surviving German generals, party memebers etc, sort of like an "Old Nazis" club, he eventually sold it on, and it recently sold again, I think it is now in Engalnd, I even believe the British Navy used it post war as well.
    thanks I appreciate the info, didnt get to see the back of it, it was a very nice boat though. thanks again, wish I had a camera with me then .

?

Here's some more info as of 2008.....

May 6, 2008 (FPRC) -- Hermann Görings 90 foot motor yacht "CARIN II" - an expensive gift to the wartime Luftwaffe leader from the German automobile industry in 1937, has been found lying at anchor in the Egyptian resort El-Gouna on the Red Sea. It is badly neglected and in need of repairs after having been impounded by Colonel Gaddafi with its owner and crew in 1987 in Libya.

During the Second World War Hitler was frequently aboard the vessel, as was Nazi propaganda minister Josef Goebbels, SS chief Heinrich Himmler and his security police leader, Reinhard Heydrich. Göring stored the finest wines and cognac aboard, hosted lavish dinners and shot seagulls from a specially constructed platform on the bow. During the summer of 1940 he sat on the green leather sofa in the boat's splendid wood-panelled salon and studied Battle of Britain operational maps on the burr walnut table.

The Carin II survived the collapse of the Third Reich virtually unscathed and was found, moored off Hamburg, by Field Marshal Montgomery who requisitioned it for the Royal Navy. The boat was first renamed the "Royal Albert" and then "Prince Charles" and for 10 years it provided a holiday home for the Royal Family cruising on the the Rhine and other German rivers.

The former chef recalls that the Royals used to fly to Frankfurt and then drive by Rolls-Royce to Wiesbaden-Schierstein where they could go by boat up the Rhine to Heidelberg or down to Holland. Prince Charles, as a boy, was kept busy peeling potatoes.

The Göring family eventually regained possession of the boat in 1960. (Hermann Göring committed suicide in 1946 with a cyanide capsule the night before he was to be hanged for war crimes after The Nuremberg Trials) The family sold the yacht to a Bonn printer, who renamed it "Theresia" and kept the boat for 12 years before selling it to the Hitler Diaries fraudster Gerd Heidemann.

Heidemann restored the name "Carin II" and entertained Göring's daughter Edda and numerous prominent ex-Nazis on board. Including Karl Wolff, former head of the SS in Italy and Himmler's liaison officer with Hitler, and SS General Wilhelm Mohnke, the last commander of the garrison defending the Reich Chancellery in 1945.

The "Carin II" was sold to Egyptian Mostafa Karim and his American wife, Sandra Simpson. Sailing in the Mediterranean in February 1987 a Force 9 Gale forced the ship off course. Libyan harbor authorities responded to the Carin II's distress signal and permitted it to dock in Benghazi. After the Carin docked, Libyan officials boarded the yacht, made the passengers disembark, and threatened to shoot them if they tried to leave. After holding them for three months, the Libyan authorities permitted Ms. Simpson to flee to Zurich. They continued holding Dr. Karim in solitary confinement and unsanitary conditions without proper food or medical equipment until November 1987. He died of stomach cancer five years later.

The vessel has been wasting away on the Red Sea ever since. Her Mercedes-Benz diesels haven't turned over in years and her teak and oak hull is probably only kept together by a thick layer of fibreglass that was applied in the eighties. The Göring Memorabilia - binoculars, parts of the library, photos, paintings, logbooks and the famous green Sèvres porcelain with the Golden family crest of the Reichsmarshall, the silver service, drinking cups and monogrammed ashtrays have long ago been plundered during several break-ins. At one time the entire stolen hoard was offered on a Nazi Memorabilia site for €48,500. Now it seems Sandra Simpson will be lucky to get half of that for what remains of the boat.

Sandra Simpson says "Over the life of this ship, all of the owners have been famous people. Each owner changed the ship a bit. It has been more like the evolution of a castle. However, on the outside, Carin II looks very much like the day she was built."

Saddam Hussein was interested in buying the "Carin II" at one stage - perhaps to house his collection of bizarre items - including a pair of Idi Amin's underpants.

Hello-Hitler was a notoriously bad sailor suffering sea sickness, very unlikely to have had a small sailboat-he did however build a state yacht the 'Grille'-this was a large steampowered ship, heavily armed and used mostly as a minelayer and command ship.

that is the boat I was talking about, the reason being is they said Mussolini was held in Gaeta for a while, there is an old castle there that is a prison & closer to the town is a roman castle ? I guess, but we used to drink jack daniels in the slave quarters before we went to the bars. & no I quit drinking a long time ago, had to, the boat was only there about 3 days, if I hadnt been young & spent more time looking around for relics, crap. oh yeah the ruins of one of the seven roman towers is there also. or it was a big tower anyway.

Default Re: does anyone know if Hitlers had a small yacht?

does anyone know if hitler had a small yacht?does anyone know if hitler had a small yacht?I am enclosing an article from the book Philately of The Third Reich by Alf Harper.Hitlers yacht was called the GRILLE.I hope the scan of the article come out OK

As a matter of fact, Hitler DID own a yacht named the Ostwin. The US radio show did a special on it, very very interesting, This American Life: Hitler's yacht. look it up.

Hello-the boat in question was not a personal possession of Hitlers-he was a poor sailor subject to 'mal du mere'-the sister yachts 'Ostwind' and 'Westwind' were propaganda tools for the Nazi regime much as a number of other projects such as the Volkswagen car programme, airship 'Hindenburg' and the Strength Through Joy cruise liners intended to show the benefits and power of the New Order.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast