Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

EKI WW1 and EKI WW2

Article about: Simple question that I was wondering about; Were the people that were awarded the WW1 iron cross also applicable for the WW2 iron cross? If so, what one was meant to be worn, or was it the c

?

Default EKI WW1 and EKI WW2

Simple question that I was wondering about;

Were the people that were awarded the WW1 iron cross also applicable for the WW2 iron cross?
    If so, what one was meant to be worn, or was it the choice of the applicant?

Regards,
    Bas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EKI WW1 and EKI WW2
    P
    Many

Holders of the Iron Cross from WW1 could be decorated with the Iron Cross in WW2 as well.

However, instead of an additional award of the same class, the 1939 Spange [clasp] was awarded. (The 2nd class clasp was worn on the ribbon of the 1914 EK2; the 1st class clasp above the 1914 EK1.)

So, within the same class of the award, you could not hold the two actual crosses, only the combination of the WW1 cross and the WW2 clasp.

For specimens, see:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/database-ek-spange/

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Holders of the Iron Cross from WW1 could be decorated with the Iron Cross in WW2 as well.

However, instead of an additional award of the same class, the 1939 Spange [clasp] was awarded. (The 2nd class clasp was worn on the ribbon of the 1914 EK2; the 1st class clasp above the 1914 EK1.)

So, within the same class of the award, you could not hold the two actual crosses, only the combination of the WW1 cross and the WW2 clasp.

For specimens, see:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/database-ek-spange/
    Thank you for the swift responce, HPL!

Regards,
    Bas

Here is an image of an officer wearing the ribbon of the WW-1 EK II but with the WW-2 EK II Spange attached to it, along with a WW-2 EK I on the breast pocket.

Images of Manstein spring to mind which clearly show the WW-2 EK I Spange above his WW-1 awarded EK I. If you do a Google image search for him and you will see plenty of examples.

EKI WW1 and EKI WW2