Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Former SS'ers in the French foreign legion

Article about: A friend of mine joined the French foreign legion some years ago (still has 18 months to finish of his first 5 year contract) and is fighting in Mali at this moment. He is in the 2 eme Rep '

Default Former SS'ers in the French foreign legion

A friend of mine joined the French foreign legion some years ago (still has 18 months to finish of his first 5 year contract) and is fighting in Mali at this moment. He is in the 2 eme Rep 'Régiment étranger de parachutistes' bassed on Corsica.
    This summer he was in Puyloubier doing some work at the rest home for legionairs, and he met some former SS'ers who live in the rest house. After the war the fled to France and enlisted in the foreign legion, and they all served long term contracts, seeing action all over the world.
    At this moment there are still 3 former SS members alive in the rest house 'Puyloubier'.
    Despite the legion having no religon or political views my friend told me they do have nazi flags hanging on their walls, and other SS stuff.
    He couldn't take any pictures, but told me he will take a camera next time he will visit the rest home. They spent a evening with those oldtimers, and they told him stories about the war, and the Europe in the years just after the war, how they managed to escape from Germany and make their way to the legion.
    There where thousands after the war, but today only three are still alive. They were seen as the best soldiers of the legion, and even treated with great respect by the officers of the foreign legion.
    Some are burried in the graveyard in Puyloubier, but many have died on over sea missions.
    Im looking forward to see the pictures, and my mate will stop by my house next summer when he has some weeks off.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Former SS'ers in the French foreign legion
    P
    Many

?

Hi

if you're intersted with this subject, there is a good book : " la garde du diable " de George Robert Elford, éditions Fayard 1974

@+, hughes

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    A friend of mine joined the French foreign legion some years ago (still has 18 months to finish of his first 5 year contract) and is fighting in Mali at this moment. He is in the 2 eme Rep 'Régiment étranger de parachutistes' bassed on Corsica.
    This summer he was in Puyloubier doing some work at the rest home for legionairs, and he met some former SS'ers who live in the rest house. After the war the fled to France and enlisted in the foreign legion, and they all served long term contracts, seeing action all over the world.
    At this moment there are still 3 former SS members alive in the rest house 'Puyloubier'.
    Despite the legion having no religon or political views my friend told me they do have nazi flags hanging on their walls, and other SS stuff.
    He couldn't take any pictures, but told me he will take a camera next time he will visit the rest home. They spent a evening with those oldtimers, and they told him stories about the war, and the Europe in the years just after the war, how they managed to escape from Germany and make their way to the legion.
    There where thousands after the war, but today only three are still alive. They were seen as the best soldiers of the legion, and even treated with great respect by the officers of the foreign legion.
    Some are burried in the graveyard in Puyloubier, but many have died on over sea missions.
    Im looking forward to see the pictures, and my mate will stop by my house next summer when he has some weeks off.
    I note that the FFL veterans at Puyloubier are winemakers also

Former soldiers of the French Foreign Legion make wine at the Domaine Capitaine d'Anjou in Puyloubier: Sainte-Victoire Mountain, vineyard, wine, Provence

I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Here is a thread I started a while back

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/histo...n-legion-9243/

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Apparently, The Devil's Guard has to be taken with a pinch of salt. But still makes for interesting reading.

?

Very interesting. I look forward to pics.

?

I also look forward to some pic's and more stories about these gents service. I have read the Devils Guard and DG2 which got me interested in the subject of the former German soldiers serving in the FFL.
    Semper Fi
    Phil